Monday, October 21, 2024

ASMSU aims for Welcome Week concert

This fall, a concert sponsored by MSU's undergraduate student government might be added to Welcome Week activities.

ASMSU's Student Assembly passed a bill Thursday to set aside $50,000 for the concert, which will be during student move-in week. No artist has been chosen to perform yet.

"This would be a big cornerstone of the week," said ASMSU Comptroller Michael Trudeau, who presented the bill.

Trudeau said the concert would introduce students to ASMSU as well as start them out on the right foot with East Lansing residents.

"We give them that positive reinforcement that MSU is cool," he said, explaining that students will stay on campus for the concert instead of partying in East Lansing.

ASMSU plans to include information on the concert in orientation packets mailed to incoming freshmen, and it is planning to get more information out at summer Academic Orientation Programs.

Although the bill passed, some members expressed concern that the size of the venue was too ambitious - the Breslin Center holds about 16,000 people, and ASMSU is aiming for about 10,000 attendees, mainly freshmen. There were 8,420 incoming freshman for the 2003-04 academic year.

"It's not like we're being overzealous for our numbers," Trudeau said.

He said he thinks students would be willing to pay money for tickets, especially since they were targeting freshmen, "when mommy and daddy are still paying for everything." Tickets will be no more than $20.

But Residence Halls Association representative Kristen Daddow said she thought the concert should be kept to a smaller venue, such as the Auditorium, which holds 3,800 people. Daddow was one of two representatives who voted against the bill.

"You'll be more likely to make a profit," she said.

RHA sponsored several revenue-producing concerts in the Auditorium last semester.

Trudeau explained that the bill was written to allow the largest venue possible. The money allotted by the bill will only be spent if ASMSU isn't able to cover its costs with concert revenue. The concert would cost about $210,000.

"Breslin is my goal," Trudeau said, adding that they could downsize if it looked like they wouldn't be able to fill the venue.

Scott Breckner, director of student events for the Breslin Center, said he would know by mid-February what late summer tours would be in the area.

ASMSU officials will then decide who will perform.

Share and discuss “ASMSU aims for Welcome Week concert” on social media.