Sunday, October 20, 2024

Prestigious scholarships granted to 2 students

When Jared English found out he had been awarded a prestigious international award, he was elated.

"I couldn't believe that I had won," said English, an international relations and finance senior.

English was one of two MSU students who will spend the next two to three years in England. Greta Stahl, an international relations senior, also was awarded the Marshall Scholarship, which is given to 40 students nationally each year.

The scholarship is awarded to recognize students for academic excellence and community and civic achievements. Scholarship applicants had to submit four letters of recommendation.

As Marshall Scholarship recipients, English and Stahl will receive funding to study at a British university.

Stahl and English were among eight MSU students who were nominated for three prestigious international awards - the Rhodes, Mitchell and Marshall scholarships. No one from MSU won the Rhodes or Mitchell scholarships.

English said representatives from Marshall scholarships called him on Nov. 14 and left a voicemail message saying they needed to talk to him. Later, he checked his e-mail and saw the message telling him he had won.

"It's a good reflection of MSU and James Madison College," English said.

English was awarded the Truman scholarship last year. The Truman Scholarship is also a prestigious award.

Stahl could not be reached for comment Monday.

MSU President M. Peter McPherson said both Stahl and English are outstanding students.

"We are particularly proud of them," McPherson said. "For us to get two is an enormous tribute to the individuals and a source of great pride for MSU."

Provost Lou Anna Simon said the awards reflect well on the individual students, as well as MSU.

"It's pretty cool," Simon said. "In fact, awesome would be a more appropriate word."

Ron Fisher, director of the MSU Honors College, said he was very excited for Stahl and English.

"These are two students who have really taken advantage of all their opportunities at MSU in the years they've been here," Fisher said.

Fisher said the students have benefited from the help of MSU faculty.

"It's something all the faculty and staff members of the university can be proud of," he said.

2003 is the 50th anniversary of the Marshall Scholarship. The scholarship was started by the British government through an act of Parliament in 1953. It was designed as a means of recognizing the United States for the Marshall Plan, named after General George C. Marshall, for his efforts to help with Europe's post-World War II reconstruction.

The last Marshall scholar was 1999 social relations graduate Jennifer Sykes, who won in 1999.

Fisher said there were 220 scholarship nominees in the Midwest. Twenty-three were asked back for interviews, and eight won scholarships. No students from the Big Ten won last year.

"To go from having none one year to two the next year is an incredible accomplishment," Fisher said.

Share and discuss “Prestigious scholarships granted to 2 students” on social media.