Sunday, September 22, 2024

On the prowl

With the economy in the dumps, students need to sell themselves in a variety of ways

If you're a student and you're expecting to land your dream job as soon as you graduate, you just might be barking up the wrong tree.

Despite the fact that many seniors and recent graduates are working like dogs to find work after finishing college, the current national economic conditions are leaving many begging to be thrown a frickin' bone.

The Michigan unemployment rate is currently at a depressing 7.4 percent, slightly higher than the national rate of 6.1 percent in September.

In order to find work, soon-to-be graduates will have to work harder than their peers did a few years ago, before the economic recession occurred in 2001.

Job-hunting students will have to use different and more powerful ammunition when trying to get their names out to potential employers. Many will have to settle for what might not be their ideal job - but more possibilities will open up with time.

One way for seniors and graduates to increase their chances of finding work is to branch out farther than they might think necessary. Students will have to think outside the box - the hunt will require more than just knocking on a few doors.

Resources such as the Internet and career fairs are extremely helpful in the hunt as alternatives to simply pounding the pavement.

Another strategy for increasing employment potential is for students to continue school after they complete their undergraduate studies.

Although graduate school is not a possibility for everyone because of money or time constraints, a second or third degree will make a student more marketable to potential employers.

Students can refine their area of study while giving the economy more time to bounce back.

Students can also increase their own marketability by acquiring more professional experience through internships and volunteer work.

Finding work is competitive, so the more effort students put into creating an outstanding background and resume, the more likely they will be able to find a job.

It's interesting to note the recent study showing that the Northeast and Midwest aren't popular destination spots for young adults.

The study, released in a report by the U.S. Census Bureau, found that factors such as better job offerings, weather and nightlife are causing many college graduates to move to the West and South.

These findings only increase the need for Gov. Jennifer Granholm's "Cool Cities" initiative. State officials involved with the project need to make sure jobs are available in their area before they start emphasizing fancy restaurants and housing.

The economy won't recover overnight, so it is best for students to increase their efforts right now, and not rely too much on tomorrow. There will be résumés and endless hand-shaking. There will be frustration and tough times.

The hunt eventually will become easier, but for right now students will have to pull out all the stops.

Share and discuss “On the prowl” on social media.