Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Olin offers needle-free flu vaccinations, survival packs

With his cold and flu survival pack on hand, pre-dental freshman Bill McIntosh talks with friends during lunch at Case Hall. Olin Health Center and the Residence Halls Association partnered to provide the bags to students. They hope to reduce the amount of illness on campus.

As cold and flu season heads into full gear, the MSU community is working to fight the contagious infections.

The Olin Allergy and Immunization Clinic is offering flu vaccinations in shot and needle-free versions.

In the meantime, Olin Health Center and the Residence Halls Association distributed 5,000 free cold and flu "survival packs" this week containing hand sanitizer, one-use thermometers and various other preventative products.

"The packs are an extremely responsible way to use money and will help students who are affected by cold and flu," said Dennis Martell, the interim health education coordinator at Olin.

Martell said the pack initiative is one of the first of many data-driven programs soon to come from Olin health advocates.

The center will use health information gathered on campus in the 2002 National College Health Assessment and then act to meet students' needs, Martell said.

The assessment found that 78 percent of MSU students got a cold or the flu last year.

Almost 20 percent said they suffered academically because of the flu or colds.

The packs cost RHA $5,000 ,with additional funds coming from Olin and Healthy U, a health-promotion program at MSU.

The packs will be handed out in campus cafeterias during meals and at Olin.

"The big thing was that the data was out there, and something had to be done," RHA spokesman Brian Winters said. "RHA and Olin decided to be proactive instead of reactive this year."

MSU Sports Medicine Program Director Dr. Jeff Kovan also is administering a recently FDA-approved needle-free flu immunization called FluMist to male student athletes this week.

The difference is that the injection contains a non-live virus, while FluMist contains a live virus at a very low concentration, Kovan said.

"Because of the live virus, certain people cannot take this version," said Kovan, adding that those who are pregnant, have asthma or suffer from bleeding disorders who could be harmed by the new immunization.

FluMist is available through Olin at a price of $58, compared to the shot's $15.

Kovan said the MSU Athletic Department would not be offering it to women athletes, because of the increased costs and hassle of having to test for pregnancy before the immunization is administered.

Of about 400 or 500 student-athletes immunized this year, Kovan estimates that only about 50 to 100 will be given FluMist.

Kovan said Wyeth, a pharmaceutical company that produces FluMist, sent the immunization free to MSU as part of the drug's promotion.

The athletic department will not offer the drug next year unless they receive the same supplies free-of-charge next year, he said.

"FluMist is too costly and not as well-recognized by health insurance companies," Kovan said.

"It doesn't offer to any other needs except for those who are afraid of needles."

Share and discuss “Olin offers needle-free flu vaccinations, survival packs” on social media.