Sunday, October 20, 2024

Interest rises in Russian study abroad program

Some MSU officials are expecting one of the university's three largest study abroad programs to become the largest by this summer.

The College of Engineering's five-week program in Volgograd, Russia, has become one of MSU's largest in its five-year history.

"We're expecting to have the maximum number of participants this year," said Tom Maleck, co-director of the program, adding that participation is capped at 75 students. "And based on our early results, we're on track for meeting that goal."

Last December, only three applicants had applied for the summer program when Maleck began keeping tally. But by the time the group departed, 49 students had signed up. Maleck said there are already more than 30 applicants for next summer's program.

The program was started in 1998, originally dedicated to civil engineering students, with courses available only from the civil engineering department.

In the five years since, participation has nearly quadrupled, from about a dozen students to nearly 50. Students can now take courses in mechanical engineering, engineering statistics and the humanities. New courses for 2003 include engineering statistics and building construction and management.

Before departing, students complete two weeks worth of preparatory coursework. Many take a Russian language and culture course and continue the class once in Russia.

The trip begins in early May and runs through the end of June. Once they depart, students begin in St. Petersburg. They have two days and nights of sight-seeing before buckling down to study.

Most of their coursework is done at Volgograd State Architectural and Engineering Academy in Volgograd, formerly known as Stalingrad.

One of the reasons the program has gained such popularity is that Maleck has such passion for the program, said Maggie Blair-Ramsey, coordinator of engineering study abroad programs.

"He loves the program, and that comes through in his presentation to students," Blair-Ramsey said. "That's what attracts them."

Joshua Kieselbach said he liked the idea of taking classes in another country.

"I can take classes here and just do the same things over and over, or I can do the same thing over there and see a different country," said Kieselbach, a second-year transportation and traffic engineering graduate student who participated in the program for the past two summers.

Kieselbach said he plans to participate again this year.

"I'm looking forward to seeing my Russian friends again," he said.

Dean Kanitz, Kieselbach's roommate, also has participated twice. The first-year civil engineering graduate student said he's not sure if he'll be able to go again this year, but the past two summers in Russia broadened his international perspective.

"You don't really understand the dynamic world until you've gone abroad and seen what other parts of the world are really like," he said.

Share and discuss “Interest rises in Russian study abroad program” on social media.