Sunday, October 20, 2024

Campus not affected by widespread outage

Students who were at MSU for last Thursday's power outage never had to skip a shower - the university didn't lose power or water.

Despite the fact that the lights stayed on at MSU, some still followed state guidelines for water and electricity conservation throughout Welcome Weekend.

"Students kept showers to a minimum and conserved energy as best they could," said D'andra Mull, assistant director for Shaw Hall. "Many students waited to hook up their computers."

Signs were posted around Shaw and other dorms encouraging students to follow the state guidelines, and water jugs were set up in some halls.

"Students were very conscientious of the problem and wanted to help as much as they could," Mull said.

Because MSU produces its own electricity at an on-campus nuclear plant, the university did not lose power. Several wells shut down, but they began working four hours after the outage.

"Just before the power went on, we were ready to open the valve that would have let East Lansing water come on campus," Gus Gosselin, director of building services, said.

The university is currently working on alternatives to back up power to the wells, physical plant officials said. Three wells are already operating on MSU power, and the university is considering adding generators or putting more wells on MSU power.

Computer science sophomore Neil MacDonald was on campus during the outage and experienced no disruptions.

"The campus had power, so I had no idea there was a problem until I went off campus," MacDonald said. "Everything seemed normal."

Gosselin said everything was back to normal by early Friday morning.

"There was no problem with water quality; we never lost pressure," Gosselin said. "We never got into a situation where we jeopardized the water system."

Share and discuss “Campus not affected by widespread outage” on social media.