Sunday, September 22, 2024

Take the test

Legislature, Granholm should allow districts freedom to choose between 4- or 5-day week

At first, kids would jump at the idea of a four-day school week. But if you told them it would mean they'd have to be in school longer per day, they would take time to think about the tradeoff. State lawmakers are engaged in a similar debate. School districts should try it to see if it's worth implementing on a permanent basis.

Michigan's legislators are considering removing the 180-day requirement on school years, but would retain the requirement of 1,098 hours in the classroom per year. State House members approved the bill Wednesday, moving it to the Senate for consideration.

Supporters of the legislation say keeping kids in school for only four days means reducing costs for energy, transportation and maintenance. Considering Michigan's budget situation, and education being in a financial rut, it's good to see legislators working to save money in state schools.

Critics point out day care would be a problem with the shorter week. In dual-income families, which are more common than ever, parents would have to make separate plans for kids without latchkey on Fridays. In addition, there is concern about extra-curricular activities and children's ability to pay attention during a longer school day.

With a 180-day school year, spread over nine months, K-12 students are in school for an average of 6.1 hours a day. In a four-day week spread over the same time period, students would have to be in school for an average of 7.6 hours a day to fill the state requirement.

An overlying concept is everyone learns differently. Some students might thrive in this kind of environment, some might not. The bill doesn't explicitly require school districts to use a four-day week, thus giving them the choice to implement the best system for their students.

Still, many districts around the country have implemented the four-day week and have seen positive results. These schools, mostly located west of the Mississippi River and in suburban or rural areas, have shown cost reduction in transportation, fuel and food service, coupled with less student and faculty member absenteeism. A school district in Louisiana and one in Idaho report higher results on standardized tests.

In the end, it's hard to say what will happen if schools adopt a four-day week without setting it in place to test its effects. Maybe it's time the nation's educational system sees a revamping. With a longer day, students might be able to receive a more enriched education, even if they lose a day during the week.

In addition, the free day during the week could be used to schedule extra-curricular activities, such as sporting events and field trips, without sacrificing time in the classroom or evenings. Parents could schedule medical appointments and not have to worry about taking their kids out of school.

The Legislature, and ultimately Gov. Jennifer Granholm, should approve this bill to give schools flexibility, allow them to save money and possibly give students a more enriched education.

But school districts shouldn't feel forced to make the change, it is up to them to do what is best for their students. Approving this measure will only give them more opportunity to decide exactly what that is.

Share and discuss “ Take the test” on social media.