Sunday, September 22, 2024

Got mail yet?

The new Web mail system has only been a major step backward, not an improvement

Finally the university has discovered a way to eliminate spam mail: end access to your e-mail for hours.

The amount of times mail.msu.edu has shut down is ridiculous, and it doesn't seem to be getting better anytime soon.

At least now they indicate what time the system will be shut down and back up, but it doesn't help anyone when these messages are posted after the system has closed.

The new mail system's purpose was to create faster web-based e-mail. TWIG was too slow and Telnet looked primitive. So the Computer Center got this great idea to please everyone and create a new system.

The problem is it's too faulty, and it shouldn't have been launched until most of the bugs were fixed. The Computer Center can't supply us something that is shut down several times within a month.

The first sign of trouble should have came when the system was constantly delaying its debut.

But because it was "faster" and more practical, students were itching to switch.

Now students who have switched might be kicking themselves as they battle the new program, and every day is a guess as to whether or not they will receive their e-mail.

At least there's some lucky students out there who haven't switched over to the new system yet. Unfortunately at some point, everyone will be forced to switch over and by May 2004, TWIG and Telnet will be gone for good. If you haven't switched over yet, enjoy the other applications while you can.

And what's worse, according to Computer Center officials, there's no way to switch back to the old system, so now you have to just deal with it. If the program isn't going to work, at least let us switch back to what does.

E-mail has become a huge part of our jobs and school work. Throw in a faulty system, and you're going to have some angry people.

Imagine if students missed an important assignment from a professor because they couldn't get into their accounts. I don't think the Computer Center would lose sleep over it, but your grade might suffer.

Sure the old system might have been outdated, but as least we were still receiving our e-mail.

If it isn't broke, don't change it.

Share and discuss “Got mail yet?” on social media.