Sunday, October 20, 2024

Board to hear Eco tax appeal

After months of waiting, ASMSU and Student Life officials will discuss the addition of a $5 renewable energy tax to student tuition bills when they go before the University Student Appeals Board on Wednesday.

University rules require new fees introduced by student governments to be voted on by more than 50 percent of undergraduate students, and a majority of those students must approve the measure for it to be implemented.

But to change a fee that already exists, there is no requirement on the number of students who must vote. The number of students who voted for the renewable energy tax on March 19 has not been released.

In February, Matt Weingarden, former Student Assembly chairperson for MSU's undergraduate student government, appealed the 50-percent rule.

"This is the highest level it can go to," Weingarden said. "If it's denied I'm going to be disappointed."

The student environmental group Eco wanted to purchase environmentally friendly energy sources such as solar or wind power for the university farms and originally brought the idea to ASMSU.

A resolution was passed Jan. 16 to place the tax on the ballot.

Weingarden said he plans to argue the $5 tax should not be considered a separate fee, but rather an addition to ASMSU's existing $13 tax and therefore not subject to the 50-percent rule.

Vice President for Student Affairs and Services Lee June declined to comment about what he will discuss at the hearing.

About 4,900 students out of 35,197 undergraduates voted for ASMSU's 75-cent tax increase.

"Why is this rule being called into effect now?" Eco spokeswoman Amy Gregory said. "It's something ASMSU has taken over and the students want."

Members of Eco can be called as witnesses during the closed hearing, Weingarden said.

This is crucial, Gregory said, because the group can "clear up any misconceptions."

If the appeals board, which is has seats for three undergraduate students, one graduate student and four faculty members, does approve the appeal, June will still have the last say.

Gregory said she is nervous about the decision because it must be made before tuition bills are mailed in June.

"I'm concerned the appeal has been filed in February and it still hasn't happened," she said. "It's a fault in the judicial board."

Share and discuss “Board to hear Eco tax appeal” on social media.