Sunday, October 20, 2024

Student Life pamphlet to educate activists

With the possibility of war and recent racially motivated incidents on campus, some students are taking an active approach to get their voices heard - and the Department of Student Life wants to help.

"What Every Activist Should Know" is a new pamphlet created by the department in February to educate people who choose to voice their opinions. The pamphlet is still a rough draft, but department officials say they plan to roll out the final product as soon as citations and additions can be made. An online version is expected soon.

On Monday, student groups protested The State News over a controversial ad that has run in the independent student newspaper. Another recent demonstration occurred Feb. 15, when several campus and city groups held a peace march from campus to the Capitol over the possibility of military action in Iraq.

The preliminary brochure describes the balance between freedom of expression and the need for order in education when action is taken. It also identifies the right of the university to regulate campus activism.

The pamphlet also tells students they need to be aware of how their actions will impact themselves and others.

But the brochure is not a permission slip to be disruptive, said Richard Shafer, associate director of Student Life Judicial Affairs.

"It's a ticket to be successful in terms of being an activist," he said. "So one person's free speech isn't disrupting a person's right to learn."

The brochure also pushes an open dialogue viewpoint, which is vital to understanding activism, said Matt Clayson, a member of Students Protecting And Representing Education.

"We want to see all sides of the story," the international relations senior said. "Activist groups these days don't understand that."

The brochure teaches people to respect other groups' opinions and beliefs, because everyone is not going to agree with one another, Clayson said.

Student activists have to register their organization and fill out an activities planning application which will be reviewed before a group can disseminate its opinions on campus.

Although this does not exempt students from police questioning, the university will be able to protect the students if they know about the activity ahead of time, Shafer said. If the event is off campus, students must contact the East Lansing Police Department and get permission from City Council, if the event will block main streets.

East Lansing Police Capt. Juli Liebler said getting permission isn't difficult and helps police prepare for the event.

MSU spokesman Terry Denbow added students should take an active role in issues they see as important, but they should keep an open mind to other opinions.

"It's when dissent turns into disruption, it means voices aren't heard," he said. "When you silence somebody, the education stops."

But Denbow said student activism is important because it helps people learn.

"Activism shouldn't be seen as negative because it's positive," Denbow said. "It's part of education."

Psychology sophomore Katie Morrissett agrees activism on a college campus is essential to students' education.

"So many movements start on college campuses," the member of Direct Action said. "It's not necessarily a classroom education. You're learning about improving the world."

For information on the pamphlet, stop by the Department of Student Life at 101 Student Services.

Share and discuss “Student Life pamphlet to educate activists” on social media.