Sunday, October 20, 2024

Public service to be Granholm's advice for grads

Carrying on a tradition of governors addressing MSU graduates, Gov. Jennifer Granholm will speak at MSU's convocation ceremony for graduating seniors.

Her speech will be held at 1 p.m. May 2 at Breslin Center.

"I look forward to sharing my views on public service and what this generation can contribute to the future of our state and our nation," Granholm said in a written statement.

Granholm spokeswoman Liz Boyd said the governor hopes to tell students how to make a difference.

"It's a wonderful opportunity to send graduates on their way with a message about public service," Boyd said. "It's also an important time to talk to them about how they'll impact our world.

"I have every expectation that the governor is going to give the graduates a wonderful send-off and some words that they can take with them as they enter the work world."

MSU President M. Peter McPherson invited Granholm to speak at the commencement ceremony.

"I felt this was an excellent idea for the university," he said. "I think the students will take a lot from what she said.

"I look forward to having her on campus and hearing her."

Granholm, Michigan's first female governor, graduated from the University of California-Berkley before attending Harvard Law School.

She follows former Govs. John Engler and James Blanchard in speaking at MSU graduation ceremonies.

Advertising senior and commencement co-chairwoman Kate Moen said she's looking forward to hearing Granholm's address.

"I think it will be really interesting to hear her talk," she said. "I've never seen her before."

Nate Engle, president of MSU College Democrats said it was an honor Granholm accepted the invitation to speak.

"The governor is a fantastic person to have at the (convocation) ceremony," Engle said. "She is an outstanding person and will provide students with inspiration."

But some students said they're indifferent to the ceremony.

Spanish senior Anthony Turner is more excited to take on a teaching internship in Ferndale during the summer than to hear Granholm's speech.

"My mind was gone a long time ago," he said. "I'm kind of indifferent right now."

Staci Robbins, an elementary education senior, said she probably wouldn't go to the convocation ceremony.

"It just doesn't seem important," she said, adding she'd attend the College of Education's separate graduation ceremony.

As graduation day approaches, Robbins said her four years at MSU flew by.

"It feels like a little too soon," she said.

"It doesn't feel like it was that long."

Granholm also will speak at the University of Michigan's commencement ceremony.

Last spring, Vice President Dick Cheney delivered the keynote address at MSU's convocation ceremony in May.

Share and discuss “Public service to be Granholm's advice for grads” on social media.