Sunday, October 20, 2024

'U' to host forum discussing legal aspects of U-M case

Less than one month before the U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments on the University of Michigan's admissions policy, representatives from both sides of the debate will argue their points at MSU.

The MSU-Detroit College of Law and the office of MSU President M. Peter McPherson will present the "Presidential Forum on the University of Michigan Case: A Lawyer's View" at 6:30 p.m. March 18 at Wharton Center's Pasant Theatre.

"People are arguing positions instead of law," MSU-DCL Dean Terence Blackburn said. "There has been a lot of rhetoric on all sides of this issue.

"Unfortunately, there is not a clear understanding of the law."

The forum will provide a basis for people to understand the law leading up to the U-M case and will present both positions being taken in this case, Blackburn said.

"We have the resources to bring that kind of informed discussion to bare on important topics," he said.

The U.S. Supreme Court will begin hearing arguments on U-M's admissions policy April 1.

The policy awards admission "points" to minorities and socially and economically disadvantaged students.

University spokesman Terry Denbow said McPherson initiated the debate because of the national importance this discussion has.

"On a university campus where we have access to expertise it's an important topic to discuss with a wide range of legal opinion," Denbow said.

McPherson was out of town Monday and could not be reached for comment.

MSU-DCL Professor Kevin Saunders will be moderating the discussion and providing background on the law that has been leading up to this case.

"It's a major political issue right now and a legal issue as well," Saunders said. "There is a lot of debate going on with the continuation of affirmative action in higher education."

A group of expert panelists will be taking different positions on the cases and people will be able to ask questions, Saunders said.

"All universities are getting involved in this sort of dialogue," he said, adding the decision of this case could force public universities and possibly private universities to discontinue their affirmative action programs.

Panelists will answer many of the questions surrounding the legal framework of the case, said Paulette Granberry Russell, senior adviser to MSU President M. Peter McPherson on diversity.

"This is an opportunity to provide an education on issues that are timely through the president's forum," she said.

"It is an opportunity to present the various sides on the issue and to allow the public to ask questions and hear from experts."

Saunders said the U.S. Constitution needs to be used to assess university priorities.

"The Constitution doesn't set goals for us, it tells us how we can approach these goals," Saunders said.

"If we set a goal that we need higher (minority) representation, the Constitution will show us how to attain that goal."

Share and discuss “'U' to host forum discussing legal aspects of U-M case” on social media.