Sunday, October 20, 2024

Students, 'U' officials debate energy tax

A tax that would require students to pay $5 per semester for renewable energy is the subject of debate between ASMSU and university officials.

ASMSU is MSU's undergraduate student government.

Eco, an environmental student organization, wants students to be more aware of the energy they use by voting yes on a ballot proposal which would tax students to purchase environmentally friendly energy sources.

Power from sources such as solar panels and wind turbines could replace fossil fuel emissions on University Farms.

"Most people don't know what renewable energy is, or even global climate change," Eco spokeswoman Amy Gregory said. "It's their money, they should care about what's going on in the world and look at generations down the line and the world they will be living in."

When a new fee is introduced by student governments, university rules require more than 50 percent of undergraduate students to vote on the issue. A majority of those students must approve the measure for it to be implemented.

But to change a fee that already exists, there is no requirement on the number of students who must vote.

There are 35,197 undergraduates enrolled at MSU, but in the 2002 elections, only about 1,500 of them cast their votes, Student Assembly Chairperson Matt Weingarden said.

Gregory said given the history of student voting, she would never expect half of the student body to cast a vote. The fee should be considered as a part of ASMSU's existing fees, which would exempt it from needing a majority of undergraduates to vote on the referendum.

"This is a program offered by ASMSU, much like the copying program, the Red Cedar Log or the notebook program," she said.

ASMSU passed a resolution on Jan. 16 to place the tax on the March 19 ballot.

Lee June, vice president for student affairs and services, makes the administrative decisions on proposals for student organizations such as ASMSU.

"We review it to make sure it follows the guidelines for student fee collections," June said, adding the rule has nothing to do with student voting patterns.

Weingarden filed an appeal to June's decision two weeks ago and is waiting to hear back from the University Student Appeals Board. The board is made up of two undergraduate students, one graduate student and four faculty members.

"Dr. June is interpreting we're starting a new program that is separate from ASMSU," Weingarden said, adding the tax is an opportunity for the students to participate in another service by the organization.

Richard Shafer, associate director of Student Life Judicial Affairs said the judicial process, which includes the appeals board, is a way for students to challenge a university policy or an action by an administrator.

"It's not about right or wrong," Shafer said, adding it's an opportunity for community consensus.

Whatever opinion is rendered by the board, the administrator - in this case, June - does not have to follow it.

But Weingarden said he believes June will follow the board's recommendation.

Share and discuss “Students, 'U' officials debate energy tax” on social media.