Saturday, October 19, 2024

Event discusses sex in 'The Real World'

More than 400 students attended the fourth annual "Sex in the Real World" at the Union Ballroom on Friday, featuring cast members from the popular MTV reality show "The Real World."

The event, sponsored by the University Activities Board, is designed to educate people about sexual health, while MTV's Real World members fed students' need for scandalous gossip.

Olin's In Your Face Reality Troupe kicked-off the night with skits relating to promiscuous sex, healthy relationships and how to put on a condom. The troupe of student actors advocates safe sex.

"It gets people to care," troupe member Molly Messinger, an interdisciplinary studies in social science sophomore, said. "We go to dorms and do lots of skits.

"We get good crowds and they react well."

Although students were waiting to hear about the lives of Real World cast members, some took the message from the skits to heart.

"I thought it was creative," psychology freshman Lindsey Drasin said. "I think people need to concentrate more on safe sex, not abstinence."

A panel of Olin Heath Center sex experts answered anonymous questions on topics such as anal sex, semen calorie count, sexual pleasure and multiple orgasms.

Olin Sexual Health Advocate Shannon Kilway attended Friday night to see what students had to say about sexual health.

"It was interesting hearing the misconceptions they had," the psychology junior said. "Students were pretty open and blunt."

The night, however, was ultimately centered around the popular MTV show. Irulan from "Real World Las Vegas" sat on the sex expert panel, and later took questions from the audience about fellow cast members and her sex life.

"It looks like they are having sex all the time, but here it is different," human biologist sophomore Renee O'Connell said. "She's like a real person."

Irulan, whose contract forbids her from revealing her last name, admitted unprotected sex was a mistake she has made in the past.

"I was extremely drunk, but that's no excuse," Irulan said. "I don't know too many people in this day and age who really have protected sex."

Olin health educator and panel member Dennis Martell thought the night was balanced between education and entertainment.

"If we can sneak in some messages about making educated decisions that is what it's all about," Martell said.

Share and discuss “Event discusses sex in 'The Real World'” on social media.