Saturday, October 19, 2024

ROTC duo to enter Army after graduation

Army Capt. James Mazel teaches a military science introduction class, Leadership: The Military Profession, while pre-med freshman Jessica Wittbecker sits in the front row Monday in Demonstration Hall.

Adam and Lindsey Malson won't be joining the civilian world once they graduate this spring.

Instead, the married couple - members of MSU's Army ROTC program - will continue their training and serve in the U.S. Army.

ROTC is offered at MSU as a college elective. The program allows students to receive military training while earning a degree. Students can decide by their junior year whether to serve in the military after graduation.

"I love it," said Lindsey Malson, a social relations senior. "I've had a lot of cool experiences like jumping out of airplanes and learning basic mountain climbing.

"I've learned a lot about myself."

She initially applied to ROTC for scholarships, but she said it's been a great decision. The future military police officer met her husband in the program.

"She was actually my squad leader," said Adam Malson, an interdisciplinary studies in social sciences senior.

Unlike his wife, Adam Malson has always wanted to be in the military. After another year and a half of training, he will join the infantry.

"Those are the guys who actually get out and get the job done," he said.

And as tension between the United States and Iraq rises, so does the possibility of war and the need for ground troops like Adam Malson.

Lindsey Malson said the possibility of war was especially scary when she could be directly affected.

"I think that if we're going to do this, there is obviously a reason," she said. "I trust the decision of the government."

Army Capt. James Mazel, assistant professor of military science at MSU, said those in the Army have a unique perspective on the conflict.

"I think that we in the Army are the ones who are most against war," he said. "We're the ones who have to go and fight."

Mazel said if the conflict does escalate into war, the military is prepared to handle the conflict and none of MSU's 101 ROTC students will be called to fight.

"We don't disagree war is a bad thing but we certainly believe there are things we have to stand up for."

Share and discuss “ROTC duo to enter Army after graduation” on social media.