Saturday, October 19, 2024

RHA official intent on keeping it all in order

When political theory sophomore John Sturk slams his gavel, he commands the attention of 40 representatives of the Residence Halls Association.

As internal vice president of RHA, one of Sturk's responsibilities is to make sure the General Assembly abides by parliamentary procedure - called Robert's Rules of Order.

"I happen to find parliamentary procedures personally fascinating," Sturk said. "It was a stroke of luck that I found a job where I can channel my enthusiasm into something productive."

Sturk's extensive knowledge of the procedures can be seen directly at the weekly RHA meetings. This summer, Sturk wrote a 14-page manual, called Robert's Rules: The RHA Way, which was given to the hall representatives.

RHA President Tim Liss said Sturk is a valuable member of the organization.

"I think he's amazing," Liss said. "He's extremely knowledgeable as far as Robert's Rules goes."

Sturk's interest with Robert's Rules began when he was a junior in high school and attended a camp at MSU called Boys State. The camp gave students the opportunity to learn about government occupations by actively participating in specific government roles.

Sturk said the conference set up a mock state, in which he was elected to the house of representatives. Sturk said he wanted the position of speaker of the house, but lost the to someone who was an expert on parliamentary procedures.

Sturk's setback propelled him to learn all he could on the rules directing government bodies.

"On that day, I vowed I would learn all I could on parliamentary procedure," Sturk said.

Since then, Sturk began reading up on Robert's Rules and frequently watched C-SPAN to learn more about government measures.

Sturk said he plans on forming a campus group in the spring called MSU Parliamentarians. His ultimate goal is to have the group join the National Association of Parliamentarians - a group Sturk personally joined in November.

Sturk's extracurricular activities are not restricted to RHA. Sturk also is in MSU's ROTC, serves on ASMSU's Academic Assembly board and holds a seat on the university's Academic Council.

ASMSU is MSU's undergraduate student government.

Matt Weingarden, chairperson for ASMSU's Student Assembly, worked with Sturk for the majority of the fall semester when Sturk served on the Student Assembly.

Weingarden said Sturk did a good job presenting RHA's viewpoints to ASMSU.

"He did great job representing the constituents he was elected to represent," Weingarden said.

Although Sturk is a involved in many student organizations, he said his main priority is academics.

"When you get in positions like mine, it's very easy to get student government syndrome," Sturk said. "That's why I'm so crazy, and why I need a vacation."

Share and discuss “RHA official intent on keeping it all in order” on social media.