Saturday, October 19, 2024

Pi Kappa Phi hopes to gain IFC benefits

The new members of the recently recolonized Pi Kappa Phi have a long road ahead if they hope to regain full Interfraternity Council benefits and privileges.

When the fraternity was suspended last spring, they lost their charter and all of the rights that go along with being a member of the council.

And it's going to take some time to get regain those rights.

"It's a long process," council President Paul Hage said. "There are a lot of steps they must take to be reinstated."

The international relations senior said some of those steps include having at least 35 active members, a review from an expansion committee, a two-thirds majority vote from the 29 chapter presidents in the council and an invitation to colonize.

"They'll be under a close watch for a while," Hage said.

With the fraternity being under the microscope, Hage said this is the new members' chance to "carve their niche" as a group.

"They're considered the founding fathers of the fraternity," he said. "This would be a great start to forming a legacy."

But those aren't the only conditions the fraternity must adhere to.

Ben Peelle, council vice president for recruiting, said Pi Kappa Phi must participate in all council events and meetings and adhere to all its policies.

"This is key for them," Peelle said. "They'll be under inspection by an expansion committee making sure they're taking all the necessary measures."

The marketing senior said the fraternity also must pay their dues on time and keep a file of current members for council executives to refer to.

Both Peelle and Hage stressed the importance of Pi Kappa Phi maintaining a grade-point average at or above the average GPA for MSU men. The average GPA for MSU men is 2.938.

Although it remains to be seen if the fraternity will adhere to the stipulations laid out by the council, Peelle said he was confident the members could fulfill each obligation.

"I think this is an entirely different group of guys," he said. "I think they understand the principles in which Pi Kapps was founded on, and I can't wait to see them be reinstated."

Share and discuss “Pi Kappa Phi hopes to gain IFC benefits” on social media.