Saturday, October 19, 2024

Students fast to raise money for Ele's Place

The Muslim Students’ Association sponsored an MSU Fast-A-Thon to raise money for charity by encouraging non-Muslim students to donate a dollar and fast during daylight hours Monday. It was followed by a free dinner after sunset in the Biomedical Physical Science Building.

Get hungry for a change.

That was the motto undertaken by the Muslim Students' Association as they raised money for a local charity on Monday.

The organization recruited students to fast from sunrise to sunset as part of a Fast-a-Thon that would donate its pledges to Ele's Place, 600 W. St. Joesph St. in Lansing, which provides free services to grieving children. Services can include counseling, arts and crafts and music therapy for children and young adults.

Volunteer Jeanie Croope thanked the group for its donation to a good cause.

"You know how hard it is to grieve at any age, but with children it's especially difficult," Croope said. "We really appreciate the support."

At least 200 non-Muslim students participated in the event, raising $203 for the organization.

The Fast-a-Thon ended with a dinner on Monday at the Biomedical and Physical Science Building.

"I realize everyone is busy with exams and other things," said Muhamad Haydar, a member of the organization who chaired the event. "I am so glad everyone came out."

The accounting junior spoke about the purpose of fasting and sacrificing to become a better person.

"Fasting is more than just keeping from things you enjoy," he said. "Really if you know what you're doing, the food part is minimal."

Muslims fast for 30 days during Ramadan from sunrise to sunset. Monday was the 20th day of this season's stint.

Organization Vice President Fareeha Shuttari said the event was a chance for the public to see Muslims in a positive light.

"It's a good opportunity for something in the news to show Muslims doing good," she said.

"It's really hard to convince people to fast. Even when you're a regular faster, it's hard."

But pre-vet freshman Sarah Phillpotts said the sacrifice was worth the cause.

"It was hard, but it was needed," she said. "It was a good experience, and I learned to sacrifice."

Rachel Danko agreed and said she was convinced to join the fast by a friend on her floor in Rather Hall.

The special education and learning disabilities freshman said it was hardest to give up liquids - but she wanted to understand the Muslim holy month.

"It really made me understand what they had to go through every day in Ramadan," she said. "It was difficult."

Share and discuss “Students fast to raise money for Ele's Place” on social media.