Saturday, October 19, 2024

Delta Chi hopes plan will dodge eviction

Members of the Delta Chi Fraternity have created a plan of action they hope will sway the East Lansing Housing Commission from evicting members living in the house.

Since May 2001, three noise violations prompted the commission to impose terms and conditions on the fraternity. Those restrictions kept the house, 101 Woodmere Ave., open and allowed the commission to assist the fraternity in correcting nuisance behaviors.

The commission may reconsider the suspension if the fraternity presents a reasonable program for altering behaviors at the commission's Thursday meeting. The building cannot be occupied when a rental license is suspended.

Annette Irwin, operations administrator for the Code Enforcement and Neighborhood Conservation, said these proceedings came about because the fraternity didn't comply with the terms and conditions they were put under.

"The license was going to be suspended in January," Irwin said. "But at the meeting, they'll have reasons why they should not be suspended."

If upheld, the suspension will last 180 days beginning Jan. 2.

But the newly elected president of the chapter hopes the board will give the fraternity a second chance.

"For the meeting Thursday, we hope our current terms and conditions plan can be revised," telecommunication junior Jeff Nowaske said. "Hopefully, they'll accept our proposal and allow us to continue to occupy the house."

Nowaske said this is the fraternity's second chance at attempting to influence the commission to keep the house open. He also said that he believes things can be worked out without closing the house.

Howard Asch, director of Code Enforcement and Neighborhood Conservation, said the suspension has already been approved. But one person voted against that suspension which gives the fraternity the opportunity to speak to the board.

"The commission has already voted to shut the house down," Asch said. "What the board is looking for is whether or not the people responsible for the violations will be dealt with."

Asch said the board also is looking at ways to address the noise issues. He said some possibilities to rectifying the problem would be for the fraternity to limit social activities or limiting the number of people present at social functions.

"We want to see that the group has taken steps to keep noise violations down or out of the picture," Asch said.

Share and discuss “Delta Chi hopes plan will dodge eviction” on social media.