Saturday, September 21, 2024

Censorship doesn't promote tolerance

I am writing in response to the recent letters to the editor about campus holiday decorations. I've never understood how religious tolerance can be interpreted to mean keeping religion hidden from public sight and censoring religious expressions.

I don't believe in reincarnation, in part because of my religious beliefs. But if someone posts a flier asserting reincarnation is real, I don't have to take it as an attack. I can simply disagree. And if it turns out I'm mistaken, I might never find out if everyone thinks the subject is too sensitive to bring up in public.

It is my experience that holding a position on important issues that run contrary to the majority feels uncomfortable. But I don't know that there is any way to avoid this discomfort except for one side or the other to change its position, or for the majority to refrain from expressing their position.

Although reasonable and respectful discussion is an honest way by which differences can be resolved, suppressing speech is not. People have a right to refuse acceptance of others' beliefs, but they don't have a right to avoid exposure to them in public.

Besides, I don't think it is accurate to say celebrations around Dec. 25 originated with Christianity.

I believe the birth of Christ is the most significant thing to celebrate at that time, but before Christmas was celebrated, the winter solstice was celebrated in various ways, such as by the Roman festival of Saturnalia.

My understanding is that Christmas was chosen to be celebrated at the same time as these various pagan feasts because it is the time when the days start getting longer and spring is approaching.

It's also soon after the harvest, so it's a good time to feast.

Mike Sanregret
zoology graduate student

Share and discuss “Censorship doesn't promote tolerance” on social media.