Saturday, October 19, 2024

Blood drives on campus will honor 9-11 victims

The American Red Cross will host a series of blood drives to commemorate the victims lost in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Four separate blood drives starting Sept. 10 and ending Sept. 17 will take place in various locations across campus.

From 10 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. Tuesday, there will be a drive at the Communication Arts and Sciences Building.

From noon to 5:45 p.m. Thursday, there will be a drive at the International Center.

From 11 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Sept. 17, there will be a drive at St. John Student Parish Church, 327 M.A.C. Ave.

The last of the drives will begin at noon and end at 5:45 p.m. on Sept. 17 in Shaw Hall.

Carol Lovelady, an American Red Cross recruitment representative, said she is optimistic that students will show up in large numbers.

“Were hoping people come out in memory of the victims,” she said. “We’re having fairly decent showings, but not enough to meet our goals. We’re hoping to collect 500 pints in total from the drives.”

Lovelady said there has been a shortage of blood donations throughout the nation. She said it has to do with factors attributed to the summer - schools are out, people are on vacation and donors for the American Red Cross usually don’t hold drives in the summer.

Lovelady said 20 percent of blood is donated by high school and college students.

About 2,000 pints of blood are required per day to meet hospital needs in Michigan, according to American Red Cross officials. A five-day blood supply is considered an adequate amount. Presently, Michigan has less than a three-day supply of blood.

Students interested in signing up can e-mail Lovelady at loveladyc@attbi.com or call (517)484-2224, ext. 251.

Share and discuss “Blood drives on campus will honor 9-11 victims” on social media.