Saturday, October 19, 2024

U research may help horse riders

Study says riders muscle activity affects movement

Dr. Hillary Clayton of the Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences holds a newly donated horse by the reigns inorder to attach Strain guages to the horses bit that will measure Mary Anne McPhail Equine Performance Center Thursday. Clayton and other researchers are looking at how the rider's muscle activity and tension on the reins affect the horse's foot placement.

Horse lovers and riders alike may be able to change the way their animals move because of research done by MSU veterinary and engineering students.

Researchers have found the muscle activity and movements of the rider have a direct effect on the horse because sudden movements cause the horse to have jerky reactions. But researchers believe riders can change horse movements with effective training.

“Reins in the mouth of the horse control its movements,” veterinary Professor Hilary Clayton of the Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences said. “How much tension is put on the reins determines how the horse reacts to the rider.”

During the research, electromagnetic electrodes were placed on muscles in the riders’ arms, upper back and abdomen. Strain gauges were attached to the reins, which were connected to the horse’s bit and attached to the horse’s mouth. The bits also affect the movement of the horse.

Clayton said the horses have a level of tension they are comfortable with. She also said the reins add 30 pounds to their weight.

“Riders add so much tension and weight to the horses,” she said. “(The research) was more of teaching the riders to be more sensitive to the horses.”

High-tech devices were used during the study, including a computer that took signals from sensors, which traveled by radio waves to record and turn them into video images. Using this, the riders and researchers looked at the relationship between the riders’ muscle activity and tension on the reins to the horse’s foot positions.

“The research was a lot of fun,” Clayton said. “It made the project better because all of the students were interested in riding.”

Students doing the research said they enjoyed working with the horses.

“It’s a good opportunity to do some research in the field,” said veterinary student Jane Manfredi, who is from Canada.

Manfredi returned to the United States and did her research for three months during the summer on different kinds of bits in the horses’ mouths. Clayton said experienced riders are aware of a horse’s movements and how the research would benefit beginning riders.

Other projects conducted at the center are studies about chewing motions with different feeds and the effect they have on the horse’s teeth - and the effect of sedatives on a horse’s ability to maintain balance.

Students also feel the research will benefit people new to horseback riding.

“I think it’s actually a good idea,” said zoology junior Barb Gary, who owns three horses. “Most people are nervous about riding the first few times, and being able to control the horse’s movements would make them feel at ease while riding.”

Clayton was very enthusiastic about the research.

“I’m a rider as well as a researcher,” she said. “This is something I feel riders want to know more about.”

Share and discuss “U research may help horse riders” on social media.