Saturday, September 21, 2024

Keep the change

Possible raise in prices for pizza delivery will only lead to more customers for other shops

Along with the recent inflation of rent, gas and tuition, pizza joints might soon make their own raid into students’ pocketbooks.

Domino’s Pizza is considering raising the cost of a hot, delivered pizza.

The Ann Arbor-based chain has been testing an added $1 delivery fee at 350 of its locations, and will later decide whether to institute the extra charge at its 4,800 stores nationwide.

Because of rising costs for gas, labor and insurance, it’s understandable why the company is contemplating the delivery charge.

But the increase seems better-suited for a small Domino’s Pizza store in a secluded town where delivery doesn’t account for a huge chunk of business.

In a college town such as East Lansing, where business heavily depends on delivering to customers, the added fee could do more harm than good.

Some people might simply switch their preferences to a pizzeria that doesn’t charge extra fees. Others could stop tipping delivery drivers, letting them have the $1 fee as a “tip.”

Either way, the charge doesn’t taste good around here.

A Domino’s spokeswoman said the company may have to look at other options, which include raising pizza prices or skimping on ingredients - both of which make the product look a little less delicious.

Of course, for people who can’t live without pizza from Domino’s or the chain’s overpowering CinnaStix, the fee might be a small price to pay to continue the good life.

But for the average student, cost is the deciding factor.

The cheaper the pizza, the better it is.

And there are plenty of options out there, especially daily deals that can get you good pizza for really cheap prices.

You could even buy a $5 frozen pizza and never have to tip anyone except yourself.

Share and discuss “Keep the change” on social media.