Saturday, September 21, 2024

Convenience makes people apathetic

I came across Drew Harmon’s recent column, “Time to let go of hopes for better things, let apathetic do as they please,” (SN 8/7) and Rishi Kundi’s, “Loss of faith in public encouragement doesn’t bode well,” (SN 8/8) during my most recent bout with insomnia. And although I find Drew’s point of view to be disheartening and Rishi’s to be slightly unforgiving, I’ve agreed at different times with what both are saying. Not only that, I’m a guilty party to an extent.

I know this is probably obvious to some, if not most of us, but it’s all about convenience. Not just the fast food, cellular-phone definition of convenience. But if we’re going to thrust our journalistic hopes out there to try and slap some sense into people who don’t care, it can’t be ignored why they don’t care.

Most people don’t feel they need to vote.

Some of those abstain because they feel it makes no difference - not necessarily the difference between who wins the elections, rather the difference in their lives.

Most students here are privileged enough to the point that their worry for the day is whether a company is interested in them for an internship. Furthermore, they’re students at one of the largest universities in the country.

As far as convenience goes, our lives are extremely convenient. Sure, we’ve got money issues.

We’re worried about moving on after graduation, but we all like to think in some capacity, we’re going to be OK. Most college graduates will not be screaming for their rights, they will probably be a few steps closer to going down whatever career avenue they think will make them happy.

As for happiness, it may be providing for a family, the hope that one can change someone else for the better, money - or all three. The quest for happiness for so many Americans won’t end solely with the sight of warm food from a stranger’s hand.

What I’m saying is this: As long as Americans don’t need to worry about survival, we won’t vote. If four years from now, our unemployment rate has skyrocketed 500 percent, and more examples of domestic terrorism are unfortunately unleashed, then people will participate more in the gubernatorial primary.

It’s fair to conclude most people in the Midwest, half a country away from Ground Zero, have no fear of terrorists ending their lives. So for now, our bills are paid and our food is warm, and we will continue not to vote.

Justin King
journalism junior

Religion causes too much seperation

I would like to respond to Catherine Mack’s letter, “Religious motto not bad for Michigan” (SN 8/12).

She talked about how religion and faith teach “courage, strength in unity, love and respect for others, and confidence” Tell me that these weren’t the principles our country was founded on.

Those principles were the intentions of our founding fathers, but not derived from religion and faith.

Atheists or those who believe in a different God have just as much moral value as the next person. The motto “E Pluribus Unum” is indeed a religious diversity message, agreed upon by Thomas Jefferson, and approved by Adams and Franklin (official members of the subcommittee at the time), and later Thomas Paine.

This diversity message is further supported by the nonexistence of a specific God in the Constitution, and there is no evidence that supports the notion that religion and faith are the only source of “courage, strength in unity, love and respect for others, and confidence.”

I agree that simple mottos or statements are not forced worship, but they are a bigotry to a large population in the United States.

Those who believe in a different God, or none at all are looked down upon by those who believe in the “God” of “In God We Trust.” There’s a very simple solution in all of this - replace “In God We Trust” with “In The United States We Trust.” This represents the patriotic tone, courage, unity, love and respect for others, and freedom that our founding fathers had intended, without religion and faith involved.

There are more than 5,000 different gods and goddesses in the world. Haven’t we gotten over the McCarthy era and aren’t we more open-minded?

Oh, and don’t forget about those millions of atheists out there, too.

Sam Lin
telecommunication senior

New Sparty chance to honor veterans

In Amy Bartner’s article “‘The Spartan’ to be cast in bronze,” (SN 8/12) Ms. Bartner notes that “Jungwirth’s original plans called for Sparty to be sculpted from bronze, but the metal was scarce because of World War II.”

Perhaps this new Sparty can be thought of as an MSU tribute to the great WWII generation.

We have all the bronze and other material goods we want, thanks to the sacrifices they made - let’s dedicate a new bronze Sparty to them.

T.Bird
1983 graduate

Smoking sections, peeing important

The biggest fallacy of all is to have a nonsmoking section in bars and restaurants. That‘s akin to having a nonurination section in a swimming pool.

Richard E. Schaufelberger
1959 graduate

Share and discuss “Convenience makes people apathetic” on social media.