Saturday, October 19, 2024

U not part of recruiting trend

MSU officials say lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgender students are attracted to MSU because of its welcoming atmosphere, but the university is not part of a growing trend of schools actively recruiting LBGT students.

Some universities are increasingly approaching admittance of LBGT students in a way similar to recruitment programs aimed at racial and ethnic minorities.

“In the Northeast it’s becoming more common,” said Jibril Salaam, associate director of admissions for diversity and inclusion at the University of New Hampshire. “It’s a reality. You’ve got to look at it as part of diversity and not this taboo thing.”

Admissions departments at schools such as the University of New Hampshire address LBGT issues in general admissions materials, send information to LBGT organizations, and attend conventions and meetings geared toward LBGT concerns.

Brent Bilodeau, MSU’s assistant for LBGT concerns, said the university does take part in outreach efforts to get information about MSU to high school gay-straight alliances and other LBGT groups throughout the state.

But he said information about MSU’s atmosphere for LBGT students is not widely distributed in recruitment literature.

“To my knowledge, we have not been doing formal outreach efforts through our admissions office,” said Bilodeau, the only MSU official explicitly charged with LBGT concerns.

“It’s only been in the last few years that LBGT students have gained a greater view on campuses, so my instinct is admissions offices are just starting to look at it.”

Bilodeau said that greater strength on campus, including the addition of LBGT caucuses in the five residence hall complexes, has helped attract LBGT students to MSU. The university also hosts an annual reception and resource fair for LBGT concerns.

“I think knowing that there are supportive organizations to make connections and receive support from can definitely be a factor when students decide where to go,” he said.

Former MSU Admissions Director Gordon Stanley said his department takes diversity issues seriously. But like at other colleges and universities, Stanley said determining the number of LBGT students enrolling each year is not possible.

“We aren’t able to inquire about that legally,” he said. “If students self-identify, we’re glad to see them apply here.”

Active student groups are well-supported by the university, and domestic-partnership benefits are offered to faculty and staff members, she said.

But general management senior Tamar Jourian, external vice chairperson of the Alliance of Lesbian-Bi-Gay-Transgendered and Straight Ally Students, said the university needs to do more.

“I don’t think they’ve done nearly enough to make MSU a safe environment for students to come out to,” Jourian said.

Share and discuss “U not part of recruiting trend” on social media.