Saturday, October 19, 2024

Local police provide tips for vehicle protection

Education senior Valerie Deininger’s black Saturn will not be in her driveway anymore.

The car was stolen from her home around 4 a.m. Wednesday morning. A male entered the house through a front window and took Deininger’s keys.

The man then drove away in the car. Police didn’t catch him.

East Lansing police Deputy Chief Tom Wibert said students need to remember to lock their doors and not to leave the keys in the ignition.

“We do have professional car thieves in the area, but for most of them it’s a crime of opportunity,” he said.

East Lansing had 57 cars stolen in 2001, Wibert said. This number remains consistent since 1998, when the popularity of riding mopeds nearly doubled the number of reported stolen vehicles.

The motor bikes were easy prey for thieves.

“Now no one even wants to be seen on one,” he said.

Wibert said students should be careful between semesters when East Lansing empties out. If they will be gone, Wibert suggests having the mail checked and lights turned on to create an illusion of occupancy.

“It’s a different city in the summertime,” he said. “Activity drops so we have more time to patrol.”

Wibert said he suggests students put a wooden post in sliding glass doors to prevent thieves from being able to take the door off the track and gain entry. Placing a peg in locked windows could also be helpful, he said.

“That’s a huge one right there,” Wibert said. “Those are the two main points of entry.”

Students should get out of the apartment immediately if they suspect someone is trying to get in, Wibert said. The next step is to call 911.

“It’s the strangest thing,” he said. “People will call their boyfriends first.”

If police get a call regarding a burglary in progress, Wibert said they will drop whatever they’re doing to attend the call.

Some students don’t appear to be concerned about burglary in East Lansing.

Chemical engineering junior Andrea Neff said she wouldn’t mind if anyone tried to steal her car.

“I figure I have enough insurance to get a better car,” she said. “My car is not even worth $200.”

Patricia McCarthy said she sometimes leaves her door open.

“I’m not worried,” the advertising senior said. “When I hear about a burglary it is usually someone they know.”

Share and discuss “Local police provide tips for vehicle protection” on social media.