Saturday, October 19, 2024

Cancer survivors relay for victory

Packaging senior Emily Gelbaugh takes the survivor lap Saturday in the American Cancer Society’ Relay for Life on campus. Gelbaugh is a co-coordinator of the MSU Cancer Support Network and a survivor of Ewing’ sarcoma.

Emily Gelbaugh laughed, sang and draped her arms over her friends’ shoulders Saturday night, while proudly displaying the words “Had it, fought it, survived it” on the back of her T-shirt.

Gelbaugh was one of 17 cancer survivors who took a victory lap around the concourse area of Munn Ice Arena on Saturday night to the song “I Will Survive” as part of the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.

Gelbaugh, co-coordinator of MSU’s Cancer Support Network, underwent 17 rounds of chemotherapy, 27 radiation treatments and surgeries to battle a type of cancer called Ewing’s sarcoma. She’s been in remission for two years.

“It’s just cool to see everybody stand up and tell you you’re awesome,” the packaging senior said. “This is one lap in an entire 24 hours where I can stand up and say that I did something really hard and take notice.”

The relay was held from 10 a.m. Saturday until 10 a.m. Sunday and raised $41,200 for cancer research, education, advocacy and patient services.

Gelbaugh has participated in six relays.

“It shows people that it could be your next-door neighbor with cancer and you would never know it,” she said. “Makes you realize that it could happen to anyone. Think about it, it could be you.”

Thirty-six teams of 15 to 20 members from residence halls, fraternities, sororities, service groups and academic organizations had to keep at least one member walking or skating for 24 hours.

Melanie Grooms, part of the Hubbard Hall mentor team, said the relay is important because cancer is a prevalent disease.

“I guarantee that everybody in this room has at least one person they know who has cancer or maybe who has died from cancer,” the general management junior said. “I know I have several. I’m just supporting those who have passed on and supporting those who are surviving.”

Participants brought tents, blankets and chairs to the arena to make themselves comfortable during the relay. There also were couches from the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house.

The fraternity held a competition between a team of pledges and a team of members to see who would raise the most money - the members won by about $500.

In addition to the survivor lap, a luminary ceremony was held Saturday to remember people who have died of cancer and honor people who have survived.

Kimberly Keon said the experience was incredible. She has been in remission for 19 years since being diagnosed with an eye cancer called retina plastoma.

“This is my first relay so it was amazing for me,” the communication sophomore said. “It was an overwhelming feeling of support and happiness.”

Share and discuss “Cancer survivors relay for victory” on social media.