Saturday, October 19, 2024

Assembly elects two as voting continues

ASMSU’s Academic Assembly elected some of its leaders Tuesday night, but will hold a special meeting next week to decide the last one.

Matt Clayson was elected as Academic Assembly chairperson for the second year in a row. He competed against one other candidate 2001-02 Internal Vice Chairperson Steve Lovelace.

Clayson said he reran for the position to help the organization gain respect from the undergraduate population. The organization’s biggest feat during the next year will be to overcome “shadiness.”

“I want to be the resource for representatives to see their vision,” he said during his five-minute speech.

Jeanette Lantzy also will continue as external vice chairperson. Lantzy was the only candidate to apply for the position, which works mainly with academic governance issues. She will be returning to the position for the second year.

Lantzy said she wants to work more closely with ASMSU committees for the 2002-03 session and expand multicultural awareness within the student government.

“I have a better sight on what I can do with my position,” she said during her speech.

Academic Assembly’s internal vice chairperson was not decided because of a close vote between the two candidates, Jacqueline Sadowski and Lovelace. The assembly debated about the position for about two hours in a meeting not open to the public.

The application process has been reopened for the position until 5 p.m. Tuesday.

A special meeting was called to elect Academic Assembly’s internal vice chairperson 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Student Assembly also will elect one of its leaders for 2002-03 tonight. There are three known candidates who are running for the undergraduate student government assembly’s chairperson position.

The ASMSU Student Assembly chairperson will work with assembly members on ways to spend more than a $1 million budget, which is made up of undergraduate student tax dollars.

Quinn Wright, 2001-02 Student Assembly chairperson, Matt Weingarden, 2001-02 Student Assembly internal vice chairperson, and Charles Beachnau, 2002-03 Student Assembly College of Agriculture and Natural Resources representative, applied for the position.

Four other organization members ran for the chairperson position last year, including Wright and Weingarden.

On April 25, Student Assembly’s internal vice chairperson, external vice chairperson, Funding Board chairperson and Programming Board chairperson are set to be elected.

Any undergraduate student can apply for the positions. Last year, one nonorganization member applied, but wasn’t elected.

James Perra, ASMSU Student Assembly College of Social Science representative, said he is leaning toward voting for a certain candidate, but doesn’t know how the assembly votes will play out. He said the meeting likely will last until past midnight.

“It’s going to last pretty long as far as meetings go,” Perra said. “If people have strong personal agendas, then some mud can be thrown in closed session. But if people are optimistic, opened-minded and fairly new, then they can be civil and talk about strengths.”

Share and discuss “Assembly elects two as voting continues” on social media.