Saturday, October 19, 2024

V-Week celebration begins with art, awareness

The cast of “The Vagina Monologues” transformed from actors to artists with paintbrushes, chalk and markers to draw vaginas.

ASMSU Women’s Council sponsored the event to kick off V-Week, the week of the play’s opening at the Auditorium’s Fairchild Theatre.

V-Week consists of several activities that promote a healthy self-image and offer feminist messages.

“This is a way for women to express how they feel about their bodies,” said international relations and political economy sophomore Megan Milota, who served on the committee for Vaginas in Art. “The turnout for the play last year was phenomenal, and we expect it to be just as good this year.”

The proceeds from this year’s production will be donated to MSU Safe Place, Eve’s House, a domestic assault shelter in Lansing, and the Revolutionary Association of Women in Afghanistan.

The Vagina Monologues was written six years ago by Eve Ensler.

Communication sophomore and Women’s Council representative Laura Sorensen said the week should be empowering for the entire MSU community and not just for women.

“I hope people realize that this is not something we should be ashamed of, but something wonderful and beautiful,” she said.

Theater freshman Ricki Brown says it’s important for men and women to see the play.

“I once heard a guy say he learned more from the show than his 24 years of sexual experience,” Brown said.

Share and discuss “V-Week celebration begins with art, awareness” on social media.