Saturday, October 19, 2024

Student community service group to revive StateWalk program

After about a 10-year absence, StateWalk is being handed back to its founder, Alpha Phi Omega.

The Residence Halls Association General Assembly voted unanimously to end the program Jan. 30. Alpha Phi Omega, a coed community service group, has taken control and will decide how its members want to run the program.

When Angela Randazzo took the position as the RHA safety director in November, she said StateWalk was her top priority. Since last semester, she has been evaluating the program, a free service for students walking on campus after dark.

“If people are interested, then more power to them to get the program working,” Randazzo said. “We’re still considering or debating on what type of relationship RHA is going to have with StateWalk, if any.”

There is no definite answer, Randazzo said, but she still plans to be involved with StateWalk.

“We might still be affiliated, but that is up in the air,” she said. “They will have my contact information and we will definitely be meeting again. I’m not going to let them hang on a limb.”

Alpha Phi Omega historian Amber Johnson said she is excited to have the program back after about 10 years. RHA assumed control of the operation in 1991.

“We originally started it and we have a personal attachment to it,” the zoology senior said. “We just didn’t want to see it go away. We figure we could get it to be productive again.”

Starting next year, Alpha Phi Omega will try to open offices in different locations. Johnson said it is trying to get closer to parking lots where people are walking alone at night.

During fall 2000, there were 55 walks given from StateWalk’s three offices. The total cost per walk broke down to $115.56 because of expenses for incentives, payroll, food, advertising and office improvements. The program’s three current offices are in the Main Library, McDonel Hall and Brody Hall.

“I noticed the program wasn’t doing so well and got really frustrated with some things, so for me it was an opportunity to make it a program work the way it is supposed to,” Johnson said.

When StateWalk resumes its service, likely after spring break, Johnson said the program will have contact with other campus safety groups.

MSU police Capt. Ken Hall said there are education programs that caution them against walking home alone.

Hall said there are other services that reduce the need for StateWalk, and students are taking those type of services more often.

“I don’t think StateWalk itself is something that is outdated,” he said. “You just don’t have people that are in need of those services.”

Share and discuss “Student community service group to revive StateWalk program” on social media.