Thursday, October 3, 2024

Local & State briefs

LCC to hold seminar on divorce issues

The Women’s Resource Center of Lansing Community College is holding a free workshop on the legal aspects of divorce from noon to 1:30 p.m. today.

The workshop, “A Legal Guide to Divorce,” is cosponsored by the MSU Women’s Resource Center and the YWCA. It will be held in room 165 Arts & Sciences Building on the LCC campus, 500 N. Washington Square in Lansing.

The event features Pam Tripp from Cooley Law School and several other lawyers from the Lansing area.

Topics range from how to file for a divorce, expected costs and the basics of no fault, property settlement, child custody, visitation rights and support.

LCC spokesman Brian Jackson said the workshop is geared toward women but is open to anyone who wishes to attend.

“It goes well with the community college’s mission to provide information to the public,” he said.

Women’s Resource Center Specialist Sheila Schafer said the event has been going on for many years and can be very helpful.

“It gives the opportunity for people to be in a safe, supportive environment and ask questions,” she said. “And you get answers for free.”

For more information call (517)483-1199.

Kendra Snyder

Center looks at movement

The Impression 5 Science Center is holding a “Things that Move” day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.

Demonstrations will explain why water and air move and include a boat-building contest, plane building and designing and observations of the Capital Area Railway Society’s model railway.

There will also be several gyroscope demonstrations conducted throughout the day to show how machines help people move.

The center is located at 200 Museum Drive in Lansing. Admission is $4.50 for adults and $3.00 for students and seniors. Children younger than 3 are free.

For more information call (517)485-8116 ext.31.

Kendra Snyder

Share and discuss “Local & State briefs” on social media.