Thursday, October 3, 2024

Lansing, GM given excellence award

Davis, chairman of the Lansing Works! Keep GM! Blue Ribbon Committee!, accepted the award on the committee’s behalf.

The committee strives to maintain GM’s presence in the Lansing area.

Mayor David Hollister said he was delighted with the selection.

“Receipt of this award reflects the hard work, dedication and partnership of members of Lansing Works! Keep GM! Blue Ribbon Committee!, General Motors and the residents of Lansing,” Hollister said.

The award is granted to cities and companies with positive partnerships who work together to raise the standard of living in their location.

The Lansing Works! Keep GM! effort also won a national award last September for its help in economic development in Lansing.

E. Claire Lepine

E.L. high-schoolers among nation’s top

Seniors Brian Root-Bernstein, Emma Tai and Irene Warner were named candidates in the 2002 United States Presidential Scholars Program. The three were among 50 Michigan students named for the honor.

The program was established by Executive Order of the President in 1964 to recognize distinguished graduating high school seniors. Candidates are selected based on SAT and ACT scores.

Both Root-Bernstein and Tai scored 1600 on the SAT while Warner scored 1590.

In late March, the review committee will name six to 20 semifinalists for each state and U.S. jurisdictions. In April the Commission on Presidential Scholars will make the final selection for the 2002 scholars.

Those selected will be honored at a White House reception.

Kevin Green, assistant to the superintendent for school and community relations, said he was thrilled about their accomplishments.

Jeanne Chan

Share and discuss “Lansing, GM given excellence award” on social media.