Friday, October 18, 2024

Police working to make intersections safer for all

It may be a long and hard road for some students to complete college, but MSU’s Department of Police and Public Safety doesn’t want the walk through campus to be that difficult.

In coming months, police will begin stricter enforcement around crosswalk areas, trying to make the campus safer for pedestrians.

A study sponsored by the All University Traffic Committee this fall using small yield signs in crosswalks around campus showed police which areas and times see heavy pedestrian congestion - and danger.

MSU police Lt. Penny Fischer said the study was prompted by complaints from pedestrians and bicyclists on campus. Signs will be placed near intersections police are watching to warn motorists.

“It’s been very grassroots level,” Fischer said. “It’s going to start with educating motorists. They’re the ones that do the most damage.

“It’s not a desire to go and write tickets. It’s a desire to change daily life and make it safer.”

Since 1999, the five most problematic intersections on campus have been reconstructed to increase safety.

The intersection at Farm Lane and Auditorium Road hasn’t had any injury accidents since its reconstruction. About five injury accidents per year occurred there previously.

Construction completed in 2000 at the intersections of Shaw Lane with Red Cedar Road, Chestnut Road with Bogue Street and Shaw Lane with Chestnut Road has had mixed results - increasing bike accidents in some cases, but decreasing motor vehicle accidents.

“Not a single officer likes to respond to a call of a student hit by a vehicle,” MSU police Deputy Chief Mike Rice said. “We’ve always been surprised by the relatively low number of car and pedestrian accidents on campus, but you have to think seriously that one is too many.”

Rice said although it is important for motorists to remember that pedestrians usually have the right of way, walkers also should be conscientious when trekking across campus.

Several pedestrian and traffic signals across campus are being updated to provide visual and audible warnings. Some signals that require a button be pushed also might be changed to an automatic signal during some hours of the day.

One priority for 2020 Vision, the master plan for future campus development, is to make the campus safer for pedestrians, said Bill Latta, director of facilities, planning and space management.

“We’re not going to kick cars off the roadway, but there needs to be a better balance for a way for pedestrians to get around campus safely and effectively,” Latta said. “It’s a priority for a very pedestrian-oriented campus.”

For more information, visit the All University Traffic Committee’s Web site at www.autc.msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Police working to make intersections safer for all” on social media.