Friday, September 20, 2024

Fear of flying

Crash should raise awareness of safety issues, but shouldnt add to airline industry hysteria

When American Airlines Flight 587 crashed shortly after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport into a neighboring Queens suburb Tuesday, Americans’ fear of flying undoubtedly grew.

Many now expect the worst. With any accident that occurs, let alone another airline crash in New York, fear of terrorist acts are imbedded automatically in the minds of Americans. The investigation of Flight 587 has barely begun but thoughts of terrorism sprang to the front of many Americans’ minds - although the cause remains unknown.

This is a natural conclusion since the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon a month ago. That shock left many of us living in uncertainty and fear of the future. But those thoughts only lead our minds astray and damage our country further.

Americans live in freedom. Freedom to go about our business, travel where we please and enjoy life - and the freedom not to be afraid of death. Choosing not to fly, wherever it may be, not only hurts an already struggling airline industry, it sends a message of fearfulness and insecurity.

Airline travel, even today, is among the safest ways of traveling. The chances of injury or fatality are dramatically higher in a car. No activity is done without risk.

But we can minimize risks by understanding them and finding solid ways to fix or avoid situations. The government now must investigate quickly, not only to find the cause of Flight 587’s crash, but also to find solutions for increasing airline security.

At the same time, Americans must work together to overcome feelings of panic and horror, so that feelings of freedom and stability can return.

Share and discuss “Fear of flying” on social media.