Friday, September 20, 2024

Council candidates miss student issues

Now that the city council election has passed, and only about 2 percent of student voters found their way to the polls, everyone has again started to say students complain but don’t do a thing about it.

As a student who ran for city council in August, I feel it is important to point out that this election brought no issue to the students that created interest to vote. Some candidates were on campus and others sent mailings to students, but that is not enough. I feel one reason we see such low student turnout is that students do not feel a connection to the city and are not concerned about city government.

Yes, the city council does set the rules, but most students are only here for four years, and the rules are short-term for most. For the candidates who did come onto campus, especially Kevin Beard, who would have best represented the student population, know that your effort was noted. But I feel the biggest issue that still keeps students away from the polls is the lack of a candidate they can relate to and vote for.

Originally I felt moving the primary election to September would make a difference, but the truth is that it may not. One thing the council must do to make an impact on this problem is show it is interested in student concerns and not just put on that image as members run for election. There are others I feel who look at students as a cash cow for the city instead of residents in the true sense.

Finally, to students who live off campus and did not vote: Those who vote have the loudest voice to the council, so when you blame the council for causing so many problems remember that by not voting for those who would have best represented student concerns, you really can’t complain and expect to see change.

Matt Mitroka
geography graduate student

Share and discuss “Council candidates miss student issues” on social media.