Friday, October 18, 2024

U grad: There are alternatives to bookstores

An MSU alumnus has created another option for purchasing used textbooks.

Eric Hamilton, a 1996 graduate, launched a new Web site Monday that brings students together to buy or sell textbooks through the Internet.

Hamilton said the site, www.Universitybookswap.com, is designed to be a message board for students looking to make textbook bargains.

“We are aggressively going after and tailoring our business to college students,” he said.

Students at 64 other colleges across the country are being introduced to this service as well. Prospective buyers can go to the site, choose their college and course and find the name of another student looking to sell that book.

Hamilton said he has never been fond of bookstores selling his books for twice the amount he sold them back for. Now he is sparing students the loss of profit and sticking it to area bookstores.

“We designed this business with the student in mind,” he said. “These students are getting a raw deal.”

He said there had to be a more efficient way to acquire or sell textbooks, so he started the site to address the issue after consulting with friends at Sun Microsystems, Inc., a provider of hardware, software, and Internet services.

“If I had a nickel for every time I was cheated by the bookstore, I’d be rich,” Hamilton said.

But bookstores aren’t expecting their business to be harmed.

Shawn Bourdo, textbook manager at the MSU Bookstore, said the store won’t change its buyback policy after the site is launched.

“There have been similar book swaps in the past that are put on by organizations like fraternities and sororities,” he said. “It hasn’t affected us.”

Bourdo said he has seen such attempts to avoid bookstores in the past and doesn’t think the alternatives give students an advantage.

But cost efficiency is still a concern for students at the beginning and end of their semesters.

Nicholas Kamweti, a mechanical engineering junior, said he spends more than $400 on books per semester.

“I would use the site, but it depends on how efficient it is,” he said. “I don’t want to wait a week for a book.”

No-preference sophomore Katie Martin said she also spends more than $400 on textbooks, but she doesn’t blame the bookstores.

“I think it is the norm,” she said. “If there were an alternative, I would look into it.”

Students can expect to see flyers and handouts bearing the site’s name in the coming days.

Despite being in its infancy, Hamilton said he expects his company to impact the book-selling industry.

“We hope to become the eBay of college bookstores,” he said.

Share and discuss “U grad: There are alternatives to bookstores” on social media.