Friday, October 18, 2024

FBI investigates possible robbery link

A surveillance camera at Michigan National Bank, 1390 W. Lake Lansing Road, shows one of the suspects involved in Thursday

Though local authorities say it’s too early to draw a connection between a recent bank robbery and a previous one at the same location, an FBI agent stationed in Lansing believes the East Lansing bank that was robbed Thursday could possibly be connected to a November robbery.

The Thursday incident marked the third time in six months the Michigan National Bank, 1390 W. Lake Lansing Road, has been robbed. It was last robbed in December by a 35-year-old Lansing man. Police apprehended him two days later.

However, FBI Resident Agent Richard Licht said this most recent robbery was conducted similar to a November robbery, which also happened on a Thursday at around the same time. No guns were involved in that robbery and the suspects were not caught.

The FBI has jurisdiction over all bank robberies.

“There are definite similarities. It’s likely these two cases are connected,” Licht said.

At approximately 10:20 a.m. Thursday, two men walked into the bank and demanded money, East Lansing police Capt. Juli Liebler said. One of the suspects was carrying a silver automatic handgun.

During the robbery, the suspects demanded the customers lay down on the floor, and then fired one shot into the floor. After taking an undisclosed amount of cash, the two men left in an unknown direction. No one was injured.

Police say it appears the two suspects left in a vehicle that is described as a late 1980s maroon-colored car, possibly a four-door.

East Lansing police Lt. Kim Johnson said he doesn’t know why this branch is targeted more than others. However, Licht believes the bank’s location is a factor.

“The location makes it easy for robbers because it’s an easy access to U.S. 127,” he said.

Robert Darmanin, director of corporate relations for Michigan National Bank, said the bank will do what it can to make sure the East Lansing branch is as safe as possible for employees and customers. He said he could not comment on the issue of security or future plans for security for safety reasons.

Both suspects were described as black males in their mid-20s. One suspect was wearing a dark knit cap, sunglasses, a waist-length winter coat and had a printed bandana covering his face. He was described as being between 6-foot-1 and 6-foot-3, and weighing between 135 and 170 pounds.

The other suspect was wearing a red ski mask, a dark sweater and white tennis shoes. He was described as approximately 5-foot-8 and weighing about 250 pounds.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the East Lansing Police Department at 337-2599 or the East Lansing tip line at (877) ELPD-TIP.

State News staff writer Shaun Byron contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “FBI investigates possible robbery link” on social media.