Friday, October 18, 2024

Richardson flying high

Sophomore guard Jason Richardson celebrates with freshman center Zach Randolph after Richardson

Michael Jordan he’s not, but Jason Richardson’s above-the-rim style draws frequent comparisons.

With every alley-oop dunk the sophomore guard throws down, people whisper, “He jumps like Jordan.”

The leaping ability might be similar, but Richardson knows comparisons to “his Airness” are a bit much.

“It’s great to be compared to him, but I don’t compare myself to Jordan,” Richardson said. “I’ve got a lot of work to do if I want to be at his level.”

Richardson stays grounded by not thinking of such things, but after his overtime alley-oop in Saturday’s Wisconsin game, the comparisons continued.

MSU led 62-59 when senior guard Charlie Bell and Richardson ran the alley-oop play made famous in last year’s NCAA Tournament - a double screen at the point and a crowd-pleasing finish.

“It’s one of our go-to plays,” Bell said. “I know with his jumping ability and his athletic ability, if I put it up there J.R. is going to go get it.”

Wisconsin head coach Brad Soderberg said the only way the Badgers could have defended the play better was if Jordan himself was on his team.

MSU head coach Tom Izzo said an alley-oop isn’t the conventional play in that situation, but added Richardson isn’t a conventional player.

“I thought it was a safer-than-normal play,” Izzo said. “I got a guy that can go up to different atmospheres to get the ball. It’s what great players are suppose to do in key situations.”

Leaping ability aside, Richardson’s overall game has greatly improved since his freshman season.

After working on his defense and outside shot during the summer, Richardson is gradually becoming a complete player, something he cherishes.

“I don’t want to be labeled as a jumper,” he said. “I want to be known as a guy who can do everything, that’s why I keep working on all aspects of my game.”

That hard work and dedication has started to pay off.

Against Wisconsin, he tied his career high with 25 points and set a career high with four three-point field goals. More impressive is Richardson’s 6-of-11 shooting from behind the arc during the last two games.

Richardson was awarded Co-Big Ten player of the Week with Iowa guard Dean Oliver for last week’s performance.

Izzo said Richardson’s newfound shooting touch is of no surprise to the coaching staff. He said Richardson has always shot well in practice.

“He’s got a very good-looking shot mechanically,” Izzo said. “He’s got great rotation on the ball and a great follow-through. It’s just going to be a matter of repetition, because he never shot it a lot from outside in high school.”

Izzo said Richardson’s success is a testament to his work ethic.

“I’d say he doesn’t have a lot of limitations,” he said.

“If he just sticks with it and hangs in there the kid is going to be a heck of a player.”

Share and discuss “Richardson flying high” on social media.