Group to fight for gay rights

Journalism junior David Warden and interdisciplinary studies in humanities senior Carrie Copeland founded the activist group Denouncing Ignorance through Vigilant Activism (DIVA). The group was formed to be a voice on campus concerning Lesbian-Bi-Gay and Transgendered student issues.

A group of students plans to resurrect a campus activist group to fight for lesbian, bisexual, gay and transgendered rights.

Interdisciplinary studies in humanities senior Carrie Copeland and journalism junior David Warden are the founders of Denouncing Ignorance Through Vigilant Activism, also known as DIVA.

Warden, the group’s public relations coordinator, said the name reflects the duo’s vision of the group.

“We wanted something that was in your face and gay-related,” he said. “Plus, the LGBT community has our divas and our flawless people. So we thought it would get people’s attention.”

Additionally, the name DIVA depicts strength, said Copeland, who chairs the group.

“A diva is someone who’s very powerful and strong,” she said.

DIVA was modeled from the former Homophobia Action Group, which fought vigilantly for LBGT rights at MSU, Copeland said.

“They had a really instrumental role in bringing a lot of changes to campus, like domestic partnership benefits, and they were a part of ‘Moving Forward,’” she said.

“Moving Forward: Lesbians and Gay Men at Michigan State University” was published in 1992 and gauged the campus climate toward LBGT students according to the university-wide Task Force on Lesbian and Gay Issues.

Eight members of the Homophobia Action Group also had a meeting with MSU President M. Peter McPherson and Lee June, vice president for Student Affairs and Services, at one time, something Warden said remains unprecedented for campus LBGT groups.

But after many of the members graduated about three years ago, the Homophobia Action Group’s momentum came slowly to a halt.

“There hasn’t been an activist group like HAG for a really long time,” Copeland said.

And DIVA hopes to change that.

The group’s first official action was writing a letter to The State News in response to a quote in a story about LBGT residence hall aides. There are 13 members working to create strategies for the semester, such as aiding in the LBGT aide effort and protesting the American Red Cross’ current blood donation restrictions on gay men.

LBGT students looking to create a change will be happy with the new group, Spectrum President Doug Copeland said.

“It sounds like the people in DIVA are comfortable with being activists, and I think it’s great,” he said.

Spectrum is a residence hall caucus group for LBGT students and allies in East Complex.

Warden has high aspirations for DIVA’s future.

“I would really like it to be self-sustaining with its own office, working with the other LGBT groups and not stepping on their toes,” he said. “I want it to still be a force on this campus long after I’ve graduated.”

For more information, contact msudiva@egroups.com.

Share and discuss “Group to fight for gay rights” on social media.