Monday, September 15, 2014

To beard or not to beard

By Beau Hayhoe, Stephen Brooks          Posted: 11/08/11 7:04pm         

The beard growing might have just begun, but the boys still have a long way to go. Competition is still going strong.

Several staffers have commented on what it will be like once the beards are at full capacity. How should they style them once they’ve reached full growth potential?

For specific styles, I’ve found a glorious website which not only give you tips on how to groom and maintain your beard, but it shows many different styling options. Personally, I vote for the “friendly mutton chops.”

We stumbled across a website which gives some fun activities to do with full-grown beards. Some benefits it highlights are the appearance of being smarter and using it as a blanket in the cold.

Once we come the end of November, we might have to do a beard photoshoot showing all the fun activities that our staffers can do with their new facial hair. I’m seeing a lumberjack portrait in the near future.

beau_day8
Beau Hayhoe day eight.
beau_day8closeup
Beau Close-Up
stephen_day8
Stephen Brooks day eight.
stephen_day8closeup
Stephen Brooks close-up

This week we’ve also added some close-up shots. Our Assistant Photo Editor Josh Radtke thought our readers might want to see the beards in all of their glory. Good call, Josh.

Stephen:

It has now been officially a week without shaving and it still looks like I’m trailing Beau in the early portion of the competition. I can’t lie, I’m a little disappointed in my growth after 8 days, I thought it would be better than this.

In fact, I’ve already had a few people tell me it looked like I shaved. That was discouraging.

I’m going to have to regain my confidence as it feels like most people are on Beau’s side in the early stages. I’m confident that I can make a late comeback as the days go on because it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

I’ve got to get a haircut likely sometime this week, maybe cutting my hair will just push my body into a full-fledged follicle growth mode. We’ll see, only time will tell.

Beau:

After two more days of competition, my beard is really starting to grow in thick. A lot of people around the newsroom have definitely noticed, and I think it’s safe to say I’m still leading the competition.

Although people have asked Stephen if he’s been shaving, I know that I have a long battle ahead of me. We’re not even 10 days into this competition, so I think he eventually will catch up.

It’ll be interesting to note how my beard develops as we pass the breaking point — I’ve never let my beard grow past about 10 or 11 days, so we’ll really get a chance to see what that looks like.