Grand River overhaul planned for spring 2013

East Lansing could be abundant in traffic cones and construction workers during portions of next spring and summer, as the Michigan Department of Transportation, or MDOT, plans to make improvements along sections of Grand River Avenue and Michigan Avenue bordering campus.

Grand River Avenue construction could stretch between Coolidge Road and Park Lake Road, while Michigan Avenue construction is expected to stretch between Harrison Road and the Grand River Avenue split.

Both of these projects are anticipated to begin in March 2013, and MDOT officials say at least one lane of traffic is expected to be open in both directions on both streets at all times until the anticipated completion date, August 2013.

Grand River Avenue construction is expected to include roadway resurfacing, intersection improvements, traffic signal upgrades and an 8-foot-wide sidewalk added to both sides of Grand River Avenue between Bogue Street and Brookfield Drive.

Michigan Avenue construction is slated to include intersection reconfiguration and the addition of three Michigan left turns.

“Instead of splitting this project up into three projects and having it over three different years, we’re (going to) … get it all done in one year,” said Jack Rick, MDOT region design engineer.

Rick said scheduled improvements include reconfiguring turnarounds around the Harrison Road and Beal Street intersection, improving the right turn lane at the north end of Bogue Street and making signal upgrades throughout the construction zone.

“Just like we do on campus, we’ll do one construction project in the summer, like East Circle Drive,” said Stephen Troost, MSU campus planner. “We phase that project to make sure that you still have the critical movements that you need occurring.”

Troost’s collaboration with the project involves maintaining safety and circulation of campus bicyclists, pedestrians and motorists.

East Lansing resident Karen Kligman said she traverses Grand River Avenue as a pedestrian, bicyclist and motorist each day.

“There are places along that stretch where there isn’t 8 feet between the building and the road, and I’m curious what the plan is in those situations,” Kligman said in regard to the planned sidewalk extension between Bogue Street and Brookfield Drive.

MDOT also plans to conduct bridge work at I-496 and US-127, among other improvements.

Share and discuss “Grand River overhaul planned for spring 2013” on social media.