Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Albert Avenue construction comes to end

After construction rendered Albert Avenue off-limits to residents for three months, the highly used road was fully opened today.

The $1.42 million project started in May, and ever since, its closure has caused some difficulties, according to businesses and residents who rely on it.

“It’s a really convenient road … it’s close to everything,” Spanish and education senior Chelsie Holmes said. “I’ve had to take a lot of detours (because of the construction).”

East Lansing Director of Public Works and Environmental Services Todd Sneathen said the project was put in action to prepare the pipes that run underground for much heavier use once the St. Anne Lofts project is completed.

“The pipes (in place) are almost 80 years old; they’re not designed for that level of flow,” Sneathen said. ”We moved sewer work up on our priority list.”

Sneathen also assured the city takes into account how many people will be affected before they start a project of this size.

“We started when there was the fewest number of students, (and) we lost a significant amount of our population,” Sneathen said. “We really tried to minimize disruption (during the project).”

Business for restaurant El Azteco, Ann St., has taken a hit because of the Albert Avenue construction, which took place directly outside, manager Heather Holguin said.

“It’s been difficult as far as parking,” Holguin said. “Parking is difficult in East Lansing to begin with, and then to limit parking even more is discouraging to customers.”

Holmes also said she experienced challenges when it came to parking, since Albert Avenue is so centrally located.

“(The construction) made it really hard to get to any of the parking ramps,” Holmes said. “Especially when you’re trying to go downtown or on campus.”

In addition to limited parking, the generally noisy atmosphere construction inevitably brings hasn’t helped El Azteco, a restaurant known for its rooftop dining.

“It’s loud during the day,” Holguin said. “It’s dusty, and it’s dirty; that probably deters from our lunch business. (Customers) will come up (then) go back downstairs because it’s too loud and dust is flying everywhere because (of the) construction … Definitely 50-65 percent of people make a comment about (construction) next door or in front of us — that’s being liberal.”

Despite the inconveniences that came with the construction, Sneathen stressed that the project was done as efficiently as possible.

“It was difficult for business owners, but we did it all in what we feel was a short time frame,” Sneathen said. “It took just three months to do all the work, and it was done on time. I don’t think you could ask for more.”

Share and discuss “Albert Avenue construction comes to end” on social media.