Sunday, May 26, 2024

RHA pushes to satisfy student need for condoms

The Residence Halls Association , or RHA, is working to position itself to provide more condoms to students after realizing its health and safety performance has been inadequate.

In a survey conducted in November asking about health and safety during RHA’s Day at the Rock event, the lack of readily available condoms topped the list of student feedback. About 120 people responded to the survey, RHA Director of Health and Safety Zachary DeRade, who presented the results at a Wednesday RHA meeting, said.

The survey questions spanned from awareness of the services provided to the group’s visibility across campus.

DeRade said students were dissatisfied with the quality and accessibility of Durex brand condoms provided through the residence halls’ Condom Connection program.

DeRade is hoping to switch to providing Trojan brand condoms in the future because survey respondents were not happy with the Durex brand because they sometimes tear. He also said he was considering providing condoms at other places on campus instead of just with residence hall mentors.

He is planning for RHA to begin providing personal lubricant as well.

DeRade said a common problem with Condom Connection is resident mentors who do not have condoms available, or students who are too shy to ask for them.

Representatives at the meeting suggested placing boxes outside mentors’ doors for students to pick up condoms at more convenient times.

Human biology senior Laura Garza said mentors should distribute condoms to each room at the beginning of the semester, regardless of if students ask for them.

“By the time they need more, they won’t be embarrassed anymore,” she said.

On a scale of one to 10 of how aware students were of RHA’s health and safety services, the average response to the survey was a five. When asked on the same scale of how much students utilize these services, the average result was a 3.5, DeRade said.

DeRade said RHA intends to use the survey results to better gauge student demand of health and safety services.

Advertising and campus visibility is high on RHA’s list of priorities, DeRade said. He wants to see RHA have a bigger presence on campus, from handing out free coffee every week at the rock on Farm Lane to setting up an informational booth outside Spartan Stadium during football games.

“It’s one thing to throw money at it, (and) another to actually be there,” he said.

RHA hopes to increase its image both on and off campus, reaching students beyond just the residence halls. About 48 percent of students surveyed live on campus and 42 percent live off campus.

Human biology senior Jason Cornell said because he lives off campus, he is not familiar with the services or promotions RHA provides, which DeRade said is a common problem.

“It is kind of difficult for off-campus students to know of us, being we are Residence Halls Association,” DeRade said.

Garza said there is not much more RHA can do to publicize their events and services beyond notices on bulletin boards or fliers across campus. Students often see the fliers but choose not to attend RHA’s events.

“People do other things, that’s the problem,” she said. “They don’t come — they’d rather go out and party.”

Share and discuss “RHA pushes to satisfy student need for condoms” on social media.