Thursday, June 27, 2024

RHA supports plan to roll campus fitness facilities fee into room and board

The Residence Hall Association, or RHA, passed a bill in support of a plan that could make fitness facilities more accessible for students living on campus at an RHA meeting in Holmes Hall on Wednesday night.

Rick McNeil, director of MSU Recreational Sports and Fitness Services, introduced a plan at the meeting in which all students living on campus would pay a $50 fee each semester as part of their room and board expenses and have full access to fitness facilities and exercise classes offered on campus.

RHA passed a bill voicing their support for the MSU Sports and Recreational Fitness Services plan.

“This is a working plan that (MSU Recreational Sports and Fitness Services has) proposed, and the bill says as of right now we support where this bill is going. … If later on we decide we don’t like this bill, we can always write another bill receding our support for this,” apparel and textile design junior Tyler Akeo said.

McNeil said part of the plan includes improving exercise facilities by bringing at least one fitness center to each neighborhood on campus, and he said the departments hopes to have full consolidation of all recreational sports and fitness services on campus by fall 2012.

Students who wish to opt out of the service would be able to receive a reimbursement from the university, but the plan could change, McNeil said.

Some RHA members voiced concern about the opt-out program becoming a hassle for on-campus students.

“Getting a refund may be a hassle and annoying for students,” said criminal justice senior Kevin Fleury, director of racial, ethnic and progressive affairs.

McNeil said the plan will be beneficial to students receiving scholarships or financial aid because grants, scholarships and financial aid can be spent on housing and room and board.

McNeil said students who do not live on campus will pay the current rate for a pass to use the exercise facilities.

“The prices will be set up similar to the current off-campus MSU meal plan,” he said.

Currently, the most an exercise plan costs for students is $250 per academic year, McNeil said.

RHA will continue to work with Recreational Sports and Fitness Services on the proposed plan, RHA president Sarah Pomeroy said.

RHA continues to work on a plan to implement gender-neutral housing, Pomeroy said.

Representatives from RHA met with MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon this past month to discuss the issue and have decided to move forward to create a plan with Residential and Hospitality Services.

“Ideally, we would love to have some kind of concrete plan in the first few months of next semester,” she said.

Share and discuss “RHA supports plan to roll campus fitness facilities fee into room and board” on social media.