Monday, October 21, 2024

Predictions: First half

In the first edition of the fall State News podcast, sports editor Chris Vaninni and football reporters Jeremy Warnemuende and Jeff Kanan talk about the MSU football team’s season opener against Western Michigan on Saturday (noon, ESPN2). The guys discuss the expected improvements in the Spartans secondary, the dangerous weapons on offense and give their predictions for Saturday’s game.

The first half of the MSU football schedule is favorable to the Spartans, with a winnable slate of nonconference matches and early-season Big Ten games.

MSU opens with seven straight games in the state of Michigan and does not play at an opponent’s venue until Oct. 9 against Michigan, which will help erase last year’s memories of a 1-3 start.

Here’s a look at the first half of the schedule:

Saturday vs. Western Michigan

The Broncos graduated quarterback Tim Hiller and will have to break in new starters in several places. Contrary to that, the Broncos still return several pieces to last season’s air attack and will test the MSU secondary. The chances of the Spartans overlooking WMU aren’t very good after last season’s loss against Central Michigan. MSU has a favorable opener, but expect a close game in the first half before the Spartans pull away.
MSU 31, WMU 17

Sept. 11 vs. Florida Atlantic at Ford Field

FAU graduated most of its offense, and its defense isn’t good enough to contend with the Spartans. Expect a Spartan rout in this game. The site of the game doesn’t matter; MSU should fly past the Owls, who graduated quarterback Rusty Smith last season and are growing with the players they have.
MSU 38, FAU 17

Sept. 18 vs. Notre Dame

For the third straight game, MSU will miss out on an NFL prospect quarterback as the departed Jimmy Clausen gives way to Dayne Crist.

Whatever the case might be, Notre Dame will feature a high-powered offense under the guidance of new head coach Brian Kelly.

After last season’s heartbreak, MSU should be out for redemption after last season’s loss and for night games in general, but the matchup between former Cincinatti coaches will be decided by the team that makes plays at the end of the game.
Notre Dame 24, MSU 21

Sept. 25 vs. Northern Colorado

After games against Adams State, Weber State and Idaho State, the Bears of Northern Colorado will be in for a tough matchup against MSU. Northern Colorado went 3-8 last season and shouldn’t be a threat to MSU. As long as the Spartans don’t look ahead, there’s no reason to think this game should be anything but a blowout.
MSU 52, Northern Colorado 14

Oct. 2 vs. Wisconsin

This game will define MSU for the Big Ten season. Both teams will be looking to prove they’re legitimate contenders in the Big Ten, and MSU will have to find a way to handle the experience of Wisconsin. A win could create momentum, but Wisconsin’s experienced offensive line is just enough.
Wisconsin 32, MSU 20

Oct. 9 vs. Michigan

Could the streak extend to three? The Spartans haven’t enjoyed this much success in the rivalry for a long time, but don’t count out a roster that resembles the depth of MSU. The Wolverines’ skill positions feature plenty of good players, but they’ll be looking for playmaking ability in Ann Arbor just as they do in East Lansing. Right now, the Spartans have too much.
MSU 31, U-M 24 (OT)

Click here to read predictions for the second half.

Share and discuss “Predictions: First half” on social media.