Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Political yard signs effective tool for voters

In an attempt to remain “eco-friendly,” three of the four candidates in the upcoming East Lansing City Council elections said they will not use yard signs to advertise their campaign.

But it will take a lot more than saving yard sign materials to save the environment.

Incumbents Diane Goddeeris and Beverly Baten and challenger Roger Peters have opted to use alternative advertising methods, such as visiting the homes of residents and advertising at indoor venues, because yard signs are a “visual blight” on the city, according to Goddeeris.

However, the lack of visual representation could potentially have a negative impact on their campaigns because the signs send an effective message to voters.

Although the idea looks good on paper, how much of an environmental impact will the lack of political signs make on the city?

And if candidates are using environmental risks as their reasons for not putting up signs, then voters would be valid in expecting that the rest of their campaigns also will reflect those environmental concerns.

Will the candidates be driving places to make appearances? Vehicle fumes are detrimental to the environment, unless they’re all driving hybrids. Will they be using recycled paper to write letters to potential voters? Paper is a product of trees that are cut down. Trees provide us with oxygen, which keeps us alive.

And while these might seem nit picky, campaigners should keep these in mind to remain “eco-friendly.”

Remaining consistent in the eyes of voters is important to an individual running for a public position.

Challenger Nathan Triplett said the yard signs can be recycled in future elections, as long as the signs do not cement the candidate into a particular election.

Just because he is the only candidate venturing into the world of yard signs, Triplett should not be branded as unconcerned with environmental issues.

To eliminate “visual blight,” candidates using yard signs are responsible for removing those signs once the elections are over.

As long as they’re not still around in December, the signs are an appropriate tool to educate voters.

Yard signs inform voters about which position they’re running for and to begin building name recognition.

Will the candidates visiting homes and mailing platform information be substituted for the in-your-face, constant reminder that yard signs provide?

Sure, the signs might not blend in very well with the fall scenery, but they let people know an election is coming up.

While it’s great that candidates are considering environmental conservation techniques during their campaigning efforts, there are other pressing environmental concerns that are not impacted by the use of a lawn sign.

Share and discuss “Political yard signs effective tool for voters” on social media.