Monday, April 21, 2014

The PoliTicker

Affair of Gen. David Petraeus unraveled quickly; impact still to be determined

By Rachel Jackson          Posted: 11/13/12 8:19pm         

Gen. David Petraeus’ downfall started in a simple confession.

Last week, Petraeus, who led the U.S. Army in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, resigned from his post as the director of the CIA after revealing he was having an affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell.

The affair was discovered earlier this year after Broadwell anonymously sent threatening emails to a friend of Petraeus’s, Jill Kelley, who then contacted a personal friend of hers who happened to be an FBI agent.

When the FBI began looking closer, the agents discovered, frankly, a mess.

Petraeus had been using a pseudonymous email account to communicate with Broadwell, and the FBI continued to investigate whether any classified information had been negligently shared.

Both Petraeus and Broadwell, when pressed, said nothing detrimental had been divulged, but now that the can of worms is open, it’ll be hard to close.

And in a bizarre twist, the FBI agent who Kelley initially discussed the matter with previously had sent Kelley pictures of himself shirtless, despite being forbidden by his superiors from being involved in the case in any form.

The FBI also discovered about 25,000 pages of “potentially inappropriate” emails between Kelley and Marine General John Allen, who also has served time in Afghanistan.

In the end, it appears Petraeus, Broadwell and Kelley all became entangled with each other in this bizarre love triangle that ended up catching others up in its mess, and it’s still to be determined what the repercussions are.