Friday, October 24, 2014 | Last updated: 9:37am

Opinion Blog

High-tech specs

By Greg Olsen          Posted: 02/20/13 6:13pm         

About a year ago, I came across a video for a pair of glasses Google was planning to release to the public in the near future.

Set to the backdrop of an indie song I eventually had to look up on iTunes and buy, the video was typical of what you now expect from the company.

The glasses seemed cool. As I watched the young, urban professional go about his daily business while wearing the technological specs, I realized Google finally had done it.

Google had created a device — called Google Glass — that would allow someone to monitor the time, check the weather, make phone calls, take videos and pictures and set reminders, all without ever having to use their hands. For just $1,500 dollars, all these amenities could be yours without ever having to lift a finger.

As if the people who wore Bluetooth devices in their ears weren’t bad enough, the technological world seems to have found a new part of the face to make “cool.”

Now, sarcasm aside, it’s hard to argue these glasses are anything but groundbreaking. But we really should be asking ourselves if staring into a screen for every waking hour of the day is a good thing.

As students, it’s hard even to count the number of occasions when a screen isn’t already in front of our face.

Whether it’s using your laptop for school work or something for your job, watching TV when you come home and need to unwind, or using your cell phone at any point in between, screens have become an inescapable part of our everyday lives.

But this shouldn’t be looked at as being entirely bad.

The technological advances we have observed during the past decade have made the idea of staying connected with one another a far-from-difficult task. Through a variety of mediums, thoughts, viewpoints and other forms of personal expression can be spread throughout the world and reach an audience that would have seemed impossible years ago.

Because of these devices, border lines, languages and cultures no longer separate groups of people from finding a common bond, and we have reinvented the idea of what it truly means to be a global steward.

So, at the end of the day, I guess I can’t be that upset.

If in 10 years we’re all walking around with computerized rims on our faces, it’ll just stand as another representation of how constantly changing our world is.

I think I’ll just wait until they’re a bit cheaper.