Sunday, April 20, 2014

MSU Sports Blog

Volleyball downs Eastern Kentucky to capture Spartan Showcase title

By Caleb Nordgren          Posted: 08/26/12 12:59am         

Following commanding wins over McNeese State and Youngstown State, the Spartans took on Eastern Kentucky on Saturday in the Spartan Showcase at Jenison Fieldhouse.

A win would secure MSU’s ninth consecutive Spartan Showcase championship while a loss would result in a tie for the title. However, the Spartans came out and won in straight sets, 3-0, to take home the trophy on their home floor.

After a slow start in their earlier game against Youngstown State, MSU came out and took the first set over Eastern Kentucky, 25-21, and looked poised to run away with the second set before the Colonels rallied to make things interesting.

MSU eventually would prevail, 26-24, to take a 2-0 lead in the match.

Having realized that they would need to take Eastern Kentucky seriously to win sole possession of the title, MSU came out for the third set and promptly proceeded to win going away, 25-10.

Junior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski led the team with 16 kills against the Colonels and took home Spartan Showcase MVP honors. Sophomore libero Kori Moster finished with 17 digs, and junior setter Kristen Kelsay had 24 assists.

Wicinski also was named to the All-Tournament team, along with fellow juniors Kelsey Kuipers and Alexis Mathews.

The Spartans will return to action next weekend in the University of Connecticut Classic in Storrs, Conn.