ASMSU Vice President for Academic Affairs resigns

International relations junior Lorenzo Santavicca, center, prepares for an ASMSU meeting on Aug. 30, 2016 at the Student Services Building at 556 E. Circle Drive. Santavicca is the current president of ASMSU.
International relations junior Lorenzo Santavicca, center, prepares for an ASMSU meeting on Aug. 30, 2016 at the Student Services Building at 556 E. Circle Drive. Santavicca is the current president of ASMSU. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

In the meetings of the ASMSU Committees on Jan. 26, another position was added to the list of vacancies in the ASMSU team.

ASMSU President Lorenzo Santavicca announced Thursday that Vice President for Academic Affairs Cassandra Shavrnoch resigned from her position.

Shavrnoch credited her reason for leaving as a inability to fairly divide her time between her position at ASMSU and her work with the North American Indigenous Student Organization, or NAISO.

In her letter of resignation Shavrnoch said, “It is with hard consideration and a heavy heart that I step down from my position as VPAA. It is unfair to occupy a position that is not at the forefront of my priorities, as my responsibility and heart lies with the NAISO.”

Shavrnoch serves as the co-chair of NAISO. 

In her resignation, Shavrnoch went on to say, “Over the past several months, I’ve spread myself too thin and have not dedicated enough time in any one area, be it ASMSU, NAISO Pow Wow or my classes.”

Following the announcement of Shavrnoch’s resignation, Santavicca said her work will be missed at ASMSU.

“We are going to miss Cassandra and the work that she did,” Santavicca said. “We are grateful for the dedication that she did put forward.”

The newly opened VPAA position is not the only ASMSU position that remains open at this time. The positions of ASMSU adviser and ASMSU representative to the University Student Commission both remain unfilled.

Vice President for Internal Administration Katherine “Cookie” Rifiotis recently stepped down as the representative to USC. Vice President for Governmental Affairs Alex Noffsinger said they are currently looking for a replacement.

Additionally, Santavicca mentioned they are focusing in on getting a new adviser for ASMSU.

“I am now working with a search committee to make sure that we have applications and interviews scheduled,” Santavicca said. “Hopefully we will see an adviser appointed to ASMSU within the next few months.”

Share and discuss “ASMSU Vice President for Academic Affairs resigns” on social media.